back to article Is Gordon the future of HPC?

HPD: just what we need in the computing industry – another acronym. But this is the term that Michael Norman, interim director of the San Diego Supercomputer Center (SDSC), is using to discuss how HPD (High Performance Data) goes hand in hand with HPC. If you have both HPC and HPD, then you’ve got something that can be an …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Rob - Denmark
    Thumb Up

"Not that Gordon"

F-ing brilliant!

2. The Indomitable Gall
    Coat

Bad puns

I am embarassed to say that as soon as I saw Gordon in the headline, I knew this would be an SSD story.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Blessed be thy name...

Gordon's alive!?!?!?!?

4. lglethal Silver badge
    Coat

*Boom tish*

Because its made with all of those solid state drives, should it perhaps be known as Flash Gordon?

Yes i know, i'll get my coat...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

245Tflops?

Gordon's ALIVE?

6. BlueGreen

old joke

The definition of a supercomputer: a device that turns a CPU-bound problem into an IO-bound problem.

That must date from the seventies. IO importance was long recognised.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

no title

must... resist... Run Crysis jokes.... nggg....

oh well, pub o'clock. First round is on me, I'm feeling generous today.

It can´t run a beer tap straight to my office. There, I waived around this god damned meme!

8. Pavlov's obedient mutt
    Joke

Let me be the first...

Flash! Aaahaaaaaaah

Savour of the HPCiverse

(ok, I'll leave now)

9. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

yes, but

1. 64GB of DRAM isn't a lot, over 32 cores that's 2GB/core, way lower than we'd use in Hadoop land.

2. the SSD is nice, but it's the data rate that's the issue. If each 4TB of SSD comes from 8 500GB SSDs, then you still have one disk channel for every 4 cores; if it's from 16x250GB disks then you are down to to one channel/two cores, still way worse than the two channels/core data that again, we in Hadoop land think is good. Admittedly, the goal in Hadoop is to minimise seek time, which is less of an issue in SSD, but still there's not enough ram or IO for the CPUs for my liking.

3. The article says "this is code that doesn't parallelise". But that's wrong. it has to be for parallelised code, otherwise there is no point having >1 core. You'd be better off with one Itanium or Power 7 CPU with all the RAM and SSD.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: yes, but

1. To get 64TB, the need 32 supernodes, each consisting of 32 nodes, each contining 64GB

2. As per point 1.

3. You're never better off with an Itaniium for single threaded performance. Ever. No matter what a HP salesdroid may tell you.

10. Blubster
    Happy

......Not that Gordon

Thank Christ for that - wouldn't trust the other Gordon to sit the right way on a lavatory.

11. Sergie Kaponitovicz
    FAIL

HPD is not an acronym; it's a TLA

acronym (ˈækrənɪm)

— n

a pronounceable name made up of a series of initial letters or parts of words; for example, UNESCO for the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization, or RADAR for RAdio Detection And Ranging

HPD is not pronounceable and is thus a TLS (three letter abbreviation) much loved by geeks, middle managers and consultants. I know - I have been all three.

1. Steen Hive
      FAIL

Acronyms!

Even worse - "SQL"

Next person to say "Sequel" gets a bayonet through the heart.

1. Steve X

grey area

What category does SCSI (Scuzzy) come in?

My favourite was PCMCIA, unpronounceable and so unmemorable that it is usually said to mean People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms, which bizarrely is the only way (for me) to remember it :)

2. John 62
      Joke

fonejacker

do you have doovday? I want to watch doovday on a lookuhduh tuv.

Then I can do hoopcuh with hoopood.

This topic is closed for new posts.