back to article Coca-Cola and Facebook get touchy with Israeli teens

Coca-Cola is offering wrist bands to those attending the Village festival in Israel so they can update their Facebook status with a tap of the hand. That tap has to be against one of the huge "Like" buttons Coca-Cola has erected around the site, though tags are recorded as youth pass the festival gates too, so organisers can …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Iggle Piggle

coca-cola

It's a fizzy drink.

1. Wize

Pepsi

For when there isn't any Coke.

2. Code Monkey

I'm near a giant Coke bottle LOL

Meanwhile their friends got incredibly bored reading the most boring status updates ever.

3. Ian Michael Gumby
    Black Helicopters

And this is a shock?

Unfortunately that photo will become the property of Coke and Facebook and will be linked to your online identity forever.

This may seem harmless, but lets propagate the idea to lets say DAB hosting a Spring Break party in Cabo or something. That picture of a red plastic cup may contain water, but no one will know and the under aged student drinking will have some explaining to do. (Guilty until proven innocent.)

Call me paranoid, but too many people aren't paranoid enough and don't realize until after the fact that unlike a tattoo, what you toss out in to cyberspace can't be removed. ;-)

And people think IM Gumby is my real name. :-P

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Or as paranoid man said:

"Being paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you."

4. Tim Greenwood

perhaps we are just old and cynical

My own kids really do not see any problem with broadcasting their details, location, movements or thoughts to all and sundry. They complain that I block too much of the info that they would like to freely broadcast. It seems all their friends are quite happy doing this and the occasional hiccup or problem caused by the wrong information or the wrong people finding things out is apparently funny rather vthan a problem.

I guess the Swedish kids prosecuted for bugging the staffroom and spilling the beans via facebook would just be passed off as funny.

I sometimes wonder if I am just too old to realise this.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: perhaps we are just old and cynical

No, not old and cynical, you're just taking a back-seat approach to parenting which is all too common nowadays.

1. Stephen 2
        Joke

The title is required but must contain letters and/or digits.

Wow man, you just threw my emotions. For a second I was really feeling for Tim but then I read your reply and suddenly I just burst out laughing.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is it abuse if it's being done to volunteers?

As marketeering stunts go, it is of course a big success. Hey, it's all shiny and you're all cool, and we've got the technology to make you say so. To wit: Were there any "dislike" buttons on the field? No? Or any way to prefer pepsi cola instead? Thought so.

I wonder what the kids will say when they get acquinted with the far reaches of the consequences. For that alone I'd be fascinated to see the data liberated, perhaps through wikileaks. It still won't be science, but it'll be interesting nonetheless.

6. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Ive heard about Cuke !!

why in the hell did they call it a festival and have spa's and massages ??? A Festival Spa !!!!

Somebody shoot the "omg im so trendy and hip" marketing Twat who came up with calling it a festival.

7. Dances With Sheep
    Troll

Organised fun?

Organised fun courtesy of Facebook and a soft-drinks company?

Kids these days are just too cool for the likes of me!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

"(alcohol-free) series of events"

I have the (completely untested) hypothesis that I would die sooner from drinking 3 pints of coca-cola a day than I would from 3 pints of decent beer, ale or stout a day.

At least small doses of alcohol have been shown to have some potential benefits. Whereas coke's only benefit is that it can apparently be used in place of industrial strength cleaning products.

1. LinkOfHyrule
      Joke

Yeah but...

...a three day event of swimming and stand up comedy sponsored by Toilet Duck and Domestos wouldn't draw a crowd, would it!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Go

if there were lots of free samples...

i would go, you always need to keep the toilet clean :D

Go, cos i would :p

9. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Headmaster

"the offer was accepted by all those attending..."

If everyone accepted the tag, everyone must have had a Facebook profile.

Do you get given one at birth now? I must officially old.

10. blankisbeautiful

Neurostim is next

Max Headroom- Season 2, Episode 6-In this episode Edison tries to find out more about Zik Zak's latest promotional gimmick. Zik Zak's is giving away free Neurostim bracelets with every burger pack. You would think that Zik Zak would welcome this reporter, it would increase sales and they are both working for the same Network. Instead, they set out to end his investigation by giving him an addictive Neurostim bracelet. Edison discovers first-hand that the Neurostim is a mental narcotic.

11. Basic

xkcd sums this up nicely

http://xkcd.com/743/

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like