back to article Sumo scandal gets iPad relief

The gloriously corpulent cadre of Japanese ring warriors known in the West as sumo wrestlers and in their home country as rikishi have a new tool to help them communicate among themselves: the iPad. The Telegraph reports that the Japan Sumo Association has distributed 60 iPads to members of its stables — yes, that's what sumo- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"pachydermally portly pashas of push-and-pull pugilism"

Awesome.

1. Manas Straw
      Pint

Inspired stuff

That line really made my Friday morning.

2. Marky W
    Stop

Renaldo?

Pfff. Merkins.

3. CareTaker
    Coat

lol

"I'm sorry. Your fingers are too fat. Please bash the keypad repeatedly to receive a dialing wand."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Re: lol

I think you'll find it was "mash".

AC, as it really is sad how well I know The Simpsons <sigh>

4. MMcloud

Steve Jobs recruits....

....some real Apple Fatbois.

5. Clive Galway
    Thumb Up

"pachydermally portly pashas of push-and-pull pugilism"

I too applaud this excellent example of alliteration.

However, "pashas" is maybe a little too obtuse for my liking, and is only a puny two syllables.

Protagonists?

Proponents?

Practitioners?

I think I like the last one best.

1. Shadowthrone

Pasha is a good word.

I think "Pashas" is a wonder word to use in that sentence. A quick google search by those who care would find why it is appropriate:

Pasha or pacha, formerly bashaw, (Turkish: paşa[1]) was a high rank in the Ottoman Empire political system, typically granted to governors, generals and dignitaries. As an honorary title, Pasha, in one of its various ranks, is equivalent to the British title of Lord, and was also one of the highest titles in pre-republic Egypt.

While the Ottoman Empire never encompassed Japan, the fact that Pasha can be taken to mean Lord is still appropriate to the line.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Title? What title?

"an internal investigation into rishikigate was hampered by poor communication "

In other words, the suspects had failed to leave a trail of incriminating e-mails for the investigators to plunder. The iPads will ensure that such trails are created in future. Clever.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Rishathra

Am I the only one who keeps wanting to confuse rishiki with Rishathra?

Mine's the one with the Tree of Life root in the pocket, thanks.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like