back to article Apple kills Jailbreakme Mac bug

Apple has purged Mac OS X of a browse-and-get-hacked vulnerability that first came to light three weeks ago, when the popular Jailbreakme service used it to root fully patched versions of the iPhone. The buffer overflow flaw in an OS component that parses fonts was one of 13 vulnerabilities Apple fixed in an update released on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. skeptical i

Has Steve Jobs blamed users for trying to jailbreak their phones yet?

"First, they hold the phones wrong and drop their own calls, then they try to jailbreak 'em. Of COURSE they'll have problems, no? What is WITH customers these days?"

1. max allan

Err, what has this got to do with the iPhone Mr Macbasher?

This article is about OSX not about the iPhone.

Of course if you'd bothered to read it rather than seeing the word "Apple" and turning into a raving flame spouting iPhone hater, then you might have realised that.

2. Not Applicable

That was quick

So the lesson seems to be that if you want Apple to get around to patching a security flaw before the next ice age, set up a web site to use for jailbreaking your, oops, I mean Apple's, precious phone.

Idea: Adobe should start making phones.

1. DZ-Jay

Not quite

There was no exploit for OS X, yet it was patched in two weeks. It was just a critical bug, not many of those are left outstanding for long in Apple's software.

-dZ.

3. twunt

Who mentioned problems?

Skeptical - I don't understand your point - what 'problems' are jailbrakers having?

This story is about the same vulnernability that allowed users to jb on iphone now being patched on OSX.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

It's only dead if you update iOS

which I have no intention of doing.

The minimal risk posed by the bug is far outweighed by the usability I get from jailbreaking it.

5. Player_16
    Alert

If Steve Jobs had his way, he would...

...well, you know, he'd... umm... I bet, uhh... possibly do a uu...

Ahh stuff it!

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Is there a Troll in here?

@skeptical

Seriously?? Get a life man! instead of trolling forums to make stupid snipes at Apple. Get over it ....

7. Aleksandr Orlov
    Dead Vulture

Dear El Reg,

The iPhone, iPad and iPod can all be neatly summed up as the iPhad family of devices.

Please feel free to use the moniker a little more frequently.

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Dear El Reg,

Dear Aleksandr, thank you for your suggestion. We will put it in our special suggestion pile.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

pile

is that the one labeled with bin?

8. Claus P. Nielsen
    Grenade

Killed?

As a comment above shows, some people will not upgrade since that kills their jailbreak.

So expect real exploits to turn up over time.

Is the bug also killed for older version iPhones?

9. D@v3
    Thumb Down

oddly enough

I tried to run the Jailbreakme thing on my i4 a week or 2 ago, and it didnt work. every time i tried the slider it said something like unable to load file.

This topic is closed for new posts.