back to article Black helicopters circle 'Welsh Roswell'

Ufologists will doubtless be delighted that an eyewitness to the "Welsh Roswell" - the crash and burn of an alien spacecraft in North Wales’s Berwyn Mountains - has spoken out to dismiss the Ministry of Defence's explanation of the incident. Retired nurse and midwife Pat Evans, now 72, heard a “almighty bang” and saw "this …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Naughtyhorse
    Coat

welsh roswell

pronounced rosweth

(double L in welsh makes a sound quite like 'th' but with more flappiness of the mouthparts)

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

rosweth?

no. "ll" is very much not a "th" sound

see here: http://www.cs.cf.ac.uk/fun/welsh/sounds/llid.au

or here http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/rmhttp/wales/livinginwales/llywelyn.mp3

(for pronunciations of llid and Llewelyn respectively)

It's helpfully described as being pronounced as if one were to "Put your tongue in the position for "l" and blow out."

1. Baskitcaise
        Coat

"Put your tongue in the position for "l" and blow out."

Don`t forget the phlegm, you gotta have loads of phlegm.

Disclaimer: I am of the sheep bothering persuasion myself.

1. 42
          Happy

I see

You are a Kiwi then

2. Ryan Kendall
    Flame

Sulphur?

Sulphur? No that's a volcano, Meteorites are made of Iron, why would anyone smell sulphur.

1. Stubar
      Happy

@ Sulphur?

Not being an expert and one who has never seen a meteorite never mind smelled one I bow down to the knowledge of witnesses who actually have, without questioning their veracity until such time I can prove otherwise. Unless they are wearing tinfoil hats, have 2 pencils stuck in their ears and are saying "Wibble"!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Meteorites don't smell of iron

Yep, I've played with meteorites of all types and whilst they are insanely cool, they don't smell of sulfur. In fact they don't smell at all.

There's a remote possibility that a freshly fallen meteorite might have a flinty smell from its passage through the atmosphere when the surface would have burned off; but even that seems unlikely as people who've actually been there to see a meteorite land generally report that they're cold or only just warm.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"moon like, but without windows or doors"

Love it. The moon's well known for it's windows & doors!

1. Tigra 07

Windows + Doors

Im rearlly trying hard to understand that phrase.

Anyone understand that, or does it have something to do with being Welsh?

1. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD
        IT Angle

Windows + Doors

Err... you put windows on the moon and all of a sudden people scrabble to make doors to escape?

2. Lionel Baden

cant remember quite what show

But smebody was quoting the UFO reports from teh MOD

One was described as looking Dorrito shaped .....

Why dorrito before triangle ???

1. Reality Dysfunction
        Pint

its the americans....

the first thing an american thinks of is a dorito... triangle shaped comes a poor second

its like showing a UK tech an amber coloured cylinder they dont say "Oh look a ruled surface spanned by a one-parameter family of parallel lines" they say PINT!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Linux

Windows....

The moon should have more penguins.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Go

Windows, Penguins....

and less apples.

1. Mr Grumblefish
          Alien

but the Doors are fine

assuming the aliens have the technology to reanimate Jim.

4. William Towle
      Alien

@AC "moon like, but without windows or doors"

> The moon's well known for it's windows & doors!

...the ones on the double decker bus, yes! ;)

// Daily Sport headline circa early 90s, says Quote of the Week at http://www.patrickmcguinness.co.uk/diary40.htm

4. Jonathan White
    Thumb Up

Bah!

@AC - what, you've never seen The Clangers?

5. DI_Wyman
    Alien

Odds on it was..

....a Welsh hill farmer searching for his favourite girlfriend by torchlight.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

News

Maybe I missed something in the article but didn't that happen some 36 years ago?

1. CatNinja
      FAIL

Did you read the article?

"that the official file into the matter, declassified earlier this month"

They are reporting on the declassification of the report not the actual event.

7. alanturingslefteyebrow
    Happy

It was a teaser!

"Unfortunately I got stuck on the Earth for rather longer than I intended," said Ford. "I came for a week and got stuck for fifteen years."

"But how did you get there in the first place then?"

"Easy, I got a lift with a teaser."

"A teaser?"

"Yeah."

"Er, what is ..."

"A teaser? Teasers are usually rich kids with nothing to do. They cruise around looking for planets which haven't made interstellar contact yet and buzz them."

"Buzz them?" Arthur began to feel that Ford was enjoying making life difficult for him.

"Yeah", said Ford, "they buzz them. They find some isolated spot with very few people around, then land right by some poor soul whom no one's ever going to believe and then strut up and down in front of him wearing silly antennae on their heads and making beep beep noises. Rather childish really." Ford leant back on the mattress with his hands behind his head and looked infuriatingly pleased with himself.

--Douglas Adams

1. Stubar
      Thumb Up

@ It was a teaser!

Quality!

8. Arclight

Load of Balabollocks

As the song says, "We'll keep a welcome in the hillsides" for our new alien overlords.

I drive through Bala every weekend, I just hope the explosion was someone taking aim at bloody tourists with caravans.

1. Peter Mylward
      Happy

Tourist?

Doesnt driving through on weekends only make you a tourist? ;)

1. Arclight

Nah

Not when I live just the other side of Bala......., well okay 3/4 of an hour the otherside, but that makes me a commuter :P

9. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

moon

"moon like, but without windows or doors"

but without? Um, do they have a different moon in wales? one with windows and doors?

10. mafoo

or..

Strong smells, glowing balls of light, erratic behaviour (and thinking the moon normally has doors and windows O_o)....

...me thinks she has a brain aneurism.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Earth lights

There's another scientific explanation that the lights on the mountain were produced by the same geological stresses that created the earthquake on the Bala Lineament.

The phenomena is known as earth lights which although they've been recorded on film and are generally acknowledged as real, remain unexplained. They've been reported around the World during other earthquake episodes, but there's precious little research into them. The best two explanations are either quartz-rich rocks being crushed in the fault producing huge amounts of piezoelectricity, or disturbances to the Earth's magnetic field.

http://www.isfep.com/FF_EQ_SSE_2003.pdf

http://inamidst.com/lights/earthquake (photos)

IIRC there's quite a history of strange lights in that part of the world, with a near epidemic of sightings in the first few years of the 20th Century.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So we postulate...

... that UFOs cause earthquakes. Obvious, really.

1. I didn't do IT.
        Boffin

Re: UFOs cause earthquakes

... and that they can be prevented by using sheep's bladders. QED.

2. william henderson 1

rubbish

immodestly robed womens cause them.

any half decent iranian cleric could have told you that.

12. Alistair MacRae
    Coat

Door to door salesmen

They've got a whole untapped market on the moon.

Bit of a commute though. There's a few who keep pestering me at home.

I'd like it if they went to the moon and tested the atmosphere :P.

13. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD
    Alien

SHADO

SHADO at work. Nothing to see here.

Nowadays you don't hear much about incidents like this... I hear they use patriots now, so fewer UFO's get splashed and more cattle get mutilated... Ooops I have said too much...

14. Danny van der Weide
    Alien

Has she been abucted?

Well, who knows what happened exactly that evening...

The impact might have been mistaken for a tremor, for example.

Actually, the really interesting part comes a the end of the movie, where she tells about "the first time" (she makes it sound like it happened more often) she saw a triangular UFO from the window.

The next thing she remembers is that she was laying on top of the bed, clearly indicating that she doesn't have memory of the time in between.

This is called "missing time", and is one of the important signs of abduction.

1. Christopher Blackmore

Duh.

It's called sleep.

15. burble
    Alien

happens all the time ...

Well about once a decade, some more mysterious than others.

This quiet (even for mid-Wales) and deadly area claimed aircraft (including RAF test stuff) more often than it should have done, due partly to the dastardly downdrafts near Cadair Berwyn. The bogs claimed much of what came down - even little green men probably sink in that stuff.

Maybe they're trying to connect with the sheep and we've been getting our hopes up for years?

16. Deadly_NZ
    Alert

helecopters

So who stole the black helecopter button?????

Maybe thats whats been seen in wales

17. tony trolle
    Flame

oh aunt Nora's hotair ballon again

always happens

This topic is closed for new posts.