back to article Lara Croft and The Guardian of Light

Whether you regard her as female icon or sexual fantasy, and whatever your thoughts on the Tomb Raider franchise itself, you have to hand it to Lara Croft. Lara Croft and The Guardian of Light Let me throw you a few pointers Videogame's greatest femme celebre, Lara smashed through gaming's glass ceiling to become global …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Co-op!?

BUT... one of the appeals of playing Tomb Raider was that you were 'alone' with Lara. (It's 2010, it's now alright to admit if you have amorous feelings for animated game characters). Do I really want someone else in the ruins with me watching as I try to run her into a corner or make her fall off a ledge to hear her neck crack?

The appeal of the game in TR4 (which is probably the last game that did really well) was that it had its own niche, a lot of the game concentrated on puzzles and story. TR5 onwards, they got confused. Did they want to make it an RPG? TR Underworld wasn't bad, though, they did regain SOME lost ground, but not all of it and the damage has already been done.

And as you, benevolent author of article, have noticed, it's just too easy. I'm guessing that the difficulty levels are so that they can attract the noob gamers as well and thereby maximize profit. I can't recall many instances in TR5+ where I got 'stuck' anywhere, they make things so obvious, they might as well have sold an animated non-interactive video of the final clip.

That all said, being a loyal fan, I will still pay to get shafted on this deal. Will it be on Steam?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

"twin-stick shooter-cum-adventure"

That is all.

3. Citizen Kaned

eh?

the last tombraider was amazingly good. me and the mrs loved it. i guess there is more competition these days, but for me it was the best game since the original.

4. Ketlan
    Thumb Up

Gosh

Well, excuse me for being an adolescent but I'd go for that for a tenner!

5. DEAD4EVER

tomb raider

always love tomb raider games especially lara hehe wonder how many more pixals they can cram into lara eh. although they will have to make her boobs more realistic cause there look as if there like rocks they hardly bounce when your running etc.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. LuMan
    Heart

Alien Breed? Isometric??

Surely you don't mean the seminal Team17 fayre? That was absolute top-down viewpoint (except for the 3D outings)... at least on the 'proper' format, anyway. Now, Skeleton Krew WAS isometric... But not as good!

As for TR - well, it was my first Perfect 10 game. The character, environments and puzzles were balanced perfectly, not to mention the baddies! I still crap myself when that bloody T-Rex hacks out of the mist about 50-feet ahead. Brilliant.

Looks like my weekend is sorted!

8. renbenbear
    Boffin

2's up

I had the magnificent pleasure of sharing some 2 player action on this game just the other night and discovered it to be a tremendously rewarding experience, thoroughly recommended to all who sail in her.

9. deadlockvictim

bulgarian airbags

has she recovered from the backpain yet?

10. Wize

But the arse hugging camera was part of the appeal

I've played some of the later ones and not impressed.

The first were good, complete a level and move on.

Then we had versions where you had to move from one level to another and back to complete them.

Then we had the dumbed down versions where you had to push a button during the video cut scenes, which isn't really game play.

Maybe they need a back to basics approach. See why the game was so popular in the first place.

This topic is closed for new posts.