back to article Acrobatic pilot survives loss of wing

Argentinian acrobatic pilot Dino Moliné survived the dramatic structural failure of his aircraft on Sunday, thanks to a full-plane parachute system which returned him gently to earth. Moliné, 22, was performing at the Show Aéreo 2010 in Santa Fe, when he rather inconveniently lost a wing: Moliné's Rans S-9 Chaos was, as …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

F15 loss

If you were an Israeli and lost a wing while flying an F15, you wouldn't want to cause any extra damage to it, would you? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LveSc8Lp0ZE.

1. AndyS

This is a title

Wow, haven't come across that one before.

Says that they didn't realise they had lost a wing till they already had the aircraft under control, due to the flames... So I guess that's not so scary then?!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Impressive landing

I'm guessing I've experienced harder landing on commercial flights...

3. live2give
    Thumb Up

holy crap

What a great invention, that plane gracefully fell to the floor! wonder why it burst into flames. I also wonder if this can be used on a larger scale A380??? lol.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

re: A380

I saw this question was posed on some "ask the boffins" programme a few years ago, and the answer is no, apparently. The weight of the parachutes and the extra bodywork to accommodate them would actually outweigh the aircraft, leading to attendant problems with more power/fuel required etc, not to mention the stress on the airframe in directions they are not traditionally built for when the chutes opened.

4. nichomach
    Unhappy

Once in every 10 years in the world, eh?

http://www.lep.co.uk/news/woman_dies_in_air_crash_tragedy_1_1159418 - OK, it's a glider but...

1. My Alter Ego

Re: Once in every 10 years in the world, eh?

I read it as the wings falling of for that type of aircraft only occurring every 10 years, though I suppose it's ambiguous.

As for the fatality in Bicester (my gliding club), I'll be incredibly interested in seeing the AAIB report when it comes out. From looking up the CAA registration for the aircraft it appears it was built in 1966, which isn't unusual for gliders, the ones I'm training in vary from 1968 to 1991. Needless to say the wing loading on the stunt pilot's aircraft would be far higher than that of a glider near the apex of a winch launch. Unfortunately it can and does happen, an example being a glider in Nevada recovering from a spin when there was excessive wing loading above the never exceed speed (Vne)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schempp-Hirth_Nimbus-4#Accident_history

As for ballistic parachutes being banned over here, I'm not convinced that's true, the first time one was used in "anger" was only a week ago, in Oxfordshire no less.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-10930035

Granted, the registration appears to be American (it appears to start with an N, but I can't read it from the photo).

5. Peter Simpson 1
    Thumb Up

Excellent advertisement

for the ballistic parachute system.

And a darn good thing it didn't catch fire!

//any landing you walk away from is a good landing!

1. I didn't do IT.
      Joke

Re: Any landing

but any landing where you can fly the plane afterwards is a GREAT one!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Pretty good, but real experts don't need a parachute...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD4jnGCaflQ

1. Anonymous Coward
      Badgers

#Pretty good

I call fake on this.

2. james the l

Real experts dont need... a fake

Sorry AC, but

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD4jnGCaflQ

is a fake. See:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I89EMDZ0dsc

Switched between real plane at the start and a model at the end. Evidence is that:

a) Artwork on planes changes.

b) Nose shape changes

c) Real plane has a cockpit coaming inside the canopy, model doesn't.

A pity, as it would be an amazing feat if he'd managed it!

Aerobatic planes of this class have something approaching the power/weight ratio to achieve the knife-edge flight demonstrated at the end, but IIRC none has. Anyway, who'd want to try it (i.e. ditching a wing then landing without it!).

Models definitely do have the ability:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOBB_-gZFNo&feature=related

7. Aldous
    FAIL

and yet

these are illegal in the uk iirc.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Wow, removable wings

I bet they'll be stressing that particular feature in future marketing efforts.

9. MinionZero

Parachutes and small aircraft crashes...

That parachute is impressive. I wish it was made law to have them installed on all small aircraft. Too many gliders and small aircraft get into trouble. I've lot count of the number of times I've heard of people killed in small aircraft crashes.

@nichomach: Thats sad news and its very recent news. Both wings at 800 to a 1000ft, that's horrific.

@Aldous: "these are illegal in the uk iirc."

If that's true then protests for legal action needs to be brought against the authorities for Culpable Homicide. Protestors need to use the Internet to generate public awareness of the madness of not allowing these kinds of safety features where possible. Some people in authority do not deserve their position of authority. They need to be discredited via protests and then thrown out.

1. lglethal Silver badge
      Go

About legality..

MinionZero - whilst i have no idea whether the use of aircraft parachutes is legal or not in the UK, you have to keep in mind the balanced view which the CAA have to take on this issue.

First, a large percentage of light aircraft crashes would not be aided by the installation of parachutes as they involve things like flying into mountains/trees in bad weather or accidents involving take-off and landing (for which a parachute is unlikely to be able to deploy quickly enough).

Secondly, the vast majority of light aircraft flying today are over 10 years old. That means the installation of parachutes would require expensive refits. This would then require reissuing of type certificates or the recertification of aircraft to carry this new equipment. As many of the light aircraft flying today come from companies that have folded, the modern company carrying their type certificate is unlikely to put in the cash for the cost of the certification. And with so many different aircraft out there (each of which is unique) it is unlikely the parachute manufacturer could afford to pay for the qualification itself. Hence i can understand why the CAA is not permitting the retrofitting of old light aircraft with this equipment - it would be a very expensive operation and the chances of quick and dodgy jobs being done are very high.

Lastly, there is an argument that the use of parachutes on light aircraft are actually a danger as they encourage people to be more reckless and more willing to push the boundaries of what their aircraft is capable of because they have that safety net. I'm not 100% convinced by this as most pilots i know are incredibly sensible people, who understand just how expensive an aircraft is to both buy and repair and wouldnt do anything to risk adding more cost to their already expensive hobby. But there are always idiots...

My personal opinion is that the use of parachutes in new light aircraft should be allowed if those aircraft are certified to carry a parachute (even if its only an optional extra). Old aircraft which have not been certified for it should not be allowed to carry a parachute. Simple as that.

Just my 2p.

1. MinionZero
        Boffin

@lglethal

lglethal, your whole argument could be paralleled with the history of seat belts in cars and look how that turned out. Looking back over the history they were saying the same things. No one wants the expense, the trouble, its too difficult, it won't save every life, people will be more reckless etc.. etc.. etc..

Yet look how it turned out. We now have seat belts by law in cars, but it took years to finally get them.

Ultimately the goal is to try to save lives and it would in cases like nichomach highlighted.

Now we have the technology (including improved materials science to make it strong enough etc..) then its time to use the technology.

1. lglethal Silver badge
          Go

@ MinionZero

MinionZero, im not sure if your agreeing with me or not.

I suspect we're looking at the history of seatbelts from a slightly different point of view. The use of seatbelts was brought in gradually, and when it became clear that they were an excellent way to save lives it became law that they be installed on all new cars. However, it was not originally required to retrofit them into old cars, because it was identifed that doing so would lead to backyard jobs that could actually make things more dangerous (fix the seatbelt to the wrong spot and you could, for example, reduce the strength of the bodywork so that in an accident the car buckled worse causing more damage). It was only about 15 years after the original law was brought in that the requirement to retrofit was introduced. And by that stage, there werent that many cars left to be retrofitted and the installation of seatbelts was a well known task, so retrofitting could be done safely and without risk.

That would be the way i see the introduction on parachutes being brought in as well.

I suppose for me the current situation more closely resembles the introduction of airbags into vehicles. Its not a legal requirement to have an airbag in your car nor the types of airbags to be used (driver, passnger, side, etc). However, you would be hard pressed to find a new car being sold without airbags, and if one did exist it would have to have some other amazing selling points to have people buy it without the added safety feature of an airbag. Additionally, i think you would be very hard pressed to find anyone who would try and retrofit an airbag to an old car, the cost would be high and you would have no guarantee that it would actually work as designed because the car was never designed to have the airbag in the first place.

So im all for parachute technology being brought in for new aircraft but i think its an incredibly risky proposition to have old aircraft retrofitted...

10. Graham Bartlett

@Iglethal and others

All hang/paraglider pilots fly with a reserve chute (apart from trainees who aren't far enough from the ground for a chute to deploy in time). So do all parachutists. Some of them will be pushing the edge of what their skill and equipment can safely do, and for them having to throw their chute is not too big a deal. But everyone has one, and everyone hopes they never need to use it. In the HG/PG world, various clubs organise zip-line sessions in sports halls so that you can train to get throwing your chute being a reflex action - the extra seconds can make the difference between living or dying.

It's not just pushing too hard that can cause this though. What starts off as a nice day can get nasty faster than you'd think. And it's not just your own errors that can get you into trouble either - some tit flying dangerously can seriously spoil your day too.

The downside of reserves is that you need to deploy them. The best friend of a friend of mine was killed this way - they reckon he probably survived the midair but was knocked out. He had ample time to throw his reserve as the damaged glider spiralled down, but being unconscious he couldn't, and it impacted too fast for survival. Similarly there are a number of cases of people trying to fly a damaged glider down when they should have bailed, and if they do throw their reserve then it's often far too late.

All that said, Iglethal's absolutely right that if you're going to fit a chute on an aircraft, the aircraft needs to have been designed to take it. A chute opening puts a big load on what it's attached to, so you need it bolted onto a structural point which can take that load. And the rest of the structure needs to absorb the load as well - there's no point having the chute taking the engine down gently whilst the rest of the fuselage breaks off and you plummet to your death. (I know of at least one hang-glider pilot who died by falling out of his harness when his reserve chute's deployed.)

Still and all, as far as legality goes I'd rather be illegal and living than legal and dead. So if I owned a light aircraft and retrofitting it with a ballistic chute *was* practical, you could count me in.

11. Dick Kennedy

Parachutes - a bad idea

Iglethal has it right. Also, ballistic chutes encourage people to take the easy way out when it would actually be <i>safer</i> to fly on. Poor weather is a good example.

Is the Rans S9 actually approved for aerobatics? Looks like the wing folder under negative-g, so the pilot may have been overdoing it.

12. Kelvari
    Thumb Up

A good idea

I've read the posts, and can see where both sides of the argument are coming from. From what I saw in the video, though, I would have to definitely say that, if the issue were to come up for vote, I would vote for the inclusion of a ballistic chute as at least an option (if not exorbitantly priced) for all light aircraft. Obviously, a ballistic chute isn't going to do much for something like a 747, but the training for a 747 as compared to the training for a Cessna are worlds apart.

13. Tim

Arguments against parachutes

Are almost exactly the same as those used by the Royal Flying Corp's bigwigs in the Great War when they banned their pilots (the twenty minuters) from wearing them.

It's reactionary thought at its worst, and morally indefensible: you have conjecture on one side of the scales - that not having a parachute will discourage a pilot from going beyond his or her limit (VFR into IMC, say) - balanced against actual evidence on the other, namely that parachutes can save lives in catastrophic situations (engine out over mountains, or structural failure).

I can understand the prohibition on retrofitting these devices to existing aircraft, but not on those types where they're designed in from the start (Cirrus SR-20s etc.) I do hope this is actually the situation.

14. Adrian Esdaile
    Alert

Why does everyone get so upset about aircraft fatalities?

I for one would welcome the banning of the privately-owned car without the same kind of licensing as a light aircraft pilot has to qualify for.

Cars kill far more people, after all, and are typically driven by people I would not trust to open a door safely.

1. I didn't do IT.
      FAIL

Re: Cars kill far more people, after all

That doesn't count - if people couldn't drive to work, then industry would suffer.

Business doesn't care if some people get killed - as long as there is a pool of workers to take the place of the missing ones.

Why else would we not be allowed to take finger nail clippers on a plane, but we put the equivelent explosive power of three sticks of dynamite into our vehhicles once or twice a week for a few pounds?

Once you bring it all down to money and who gets it (real money, not the "pocket change" we get paid weekly), it is surprising how consistent it is.

15. mulder

other potentional advantage

I asume there is a advantage for the peope on the ground too.

A plane that floats down under a chute is a far smaller danger then a plane that drops out of the sky balistic style.

For example there have been incidents of planes crashing in the public and if a chute equiped plane would come down towards people they would have time to get out of the way.

Also since there is a smalled chance of aditional damage on inpact the risk of fire is lower..

The example of this article did not burst into a ball of flames on "inpact" but the fire probbally started as a result of a broken fuel line near the hot engine and spread more slower giving still enough time for the pilot to exit the plane.

16. Graham Bartlett

@Dick Kennedy

You're making the understandable but incorrect assumption that when the plane's broken enough for the pilot to be considering throwing a chute, the pilot still has any say over where the plane goes. Trouble is that when Mr Gravity says "Down" and Mr Wing says "I agree", you're SOL. In the HG, PG and parachuting worlds, there are numerous cases of people with perfectly good reserves plummetting to their deaths because they kept trying to get their wing/main chute flying.

It's certainly wise to consider when it's a good time to throw the chute. If you're at 5K then you might as well keep trying for a bit, bcos even at free-fall speeds it'll take you a while to get down. But at 1K or less, JFDI. But there's also the issue that if you throw the chute when things first go wrong, you've probably not yet reached terminal velocity in freefall, so the chute opening shock is going to be less. Since chutes can and do fail on deployment, and the chance of this happening is mainly related to the speed you're falling at, this is worth thinking about too.

You're also failing to consider the speed of impact. Mulder's guess that people could get out of the way in time is probably mostly not an issue - the chances of actually landing directly on someone in a light aircraft are pretty low, even during a display. But the chances of landing hard on something that subsequently collapses on top of the people inside it - say, a house or a school - are much reduced if you've got a chute attached. It's probably not going to do much good for the tiles, but it's unlikely to trouble the rafters.

This topic is closed for new posts.