back to article BCS creates Truth Commission to heal wounds

The BCS is setting up a committee to deal with members' concerns about the current management's modernisation and rebranding project, even though it won the vote on the issue. The rebels forced an Extraordinary General Meeting in July but lost the subsequent vote to call a halt to the reform programme. The rebels did generate …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chad H.

Truth Commision?

Will that be run by Winston Smith?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

ACCU is where its at.

BCS is just a management playground. If you are serious about the art of programming you join ACCU. I was a member of BCS years ago and found it to be useless and largely irrelevant.

1. Matt 5
      Stop

Well...

Without wishing to either support or denigrate either the ACCU or the BCS, you have to acknowledge that in terms of IT, programming is actually only one small facet of what goes on.

I'm a true geek who enjoys programming for the sake of it and thought it ludicrous people would pay me to do it!

However, IT in general is so ridiculously full of cowboys its not funny. The profession needs something like a Charted IT Professional qualification thats not controlled by some company or other (Microsoft and Cisco, I'm looking at you!) that can mean something to people who aren't IT literate and give them some confidence in hiring people with it.

Now, I'm not saying that the BCS's program is actually any good in filling that gap, but someone, somewhere does need to do so. God knows degrees in IT are worthless for filtering out the idiots...

If we can make some progress on this, perhaps we can get away from badly specced IT projects that are inherently undeliverable and end up with less time wasted on projects that end up being cancelled half way through...

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Rogerborg

Charter Institute for Pointy Haired Bosses

Got a PR problem? Form a committee! Doubtless it will report to a Multi-Disciplinary Task Force guided by a Steering Committee and an arms-length Oversight Commission.

Of course, the real power will be vested in the Operations Director who decides the travel and catering budget.

5. adrianww
    Thumb Down

I didn't know...

...that they now preferred to be called the Chartered Institute for IT (or whatever).

Unfortunately, I can't resist the temptation to shorten that to ChIIT (pronounced "Shee-it!" in the best tradition of Dodge-Charger-driving redneck good ol' boys everywhere). Or something like that anyway.

6. erikscott
    Coat

If you get the acronym wrong, it still makes sense

I read that as "Bowl Championship Series" and the article still seemed spot-on.

(Mine is the the one with the season tickets in it)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One foot in the grave

As a recent attendee of a BCS meeting I was horrified with how out of date they are. Whilst all thoroughly nice people it was like attending and Enid Blyton book club. Anyone under thirty took the first opportunity to bail out. I can see why the attempts to modernise have met resistance but if it doesn’t then it is finished.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Too late for me...

... and two other peeps I work with. We've already left...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

BCS?

Don't ask about computers or computing though.

Maybe a better answer is along lines of identified funding streams so badly let down by ineffective programme management usually by budding empire builders rather than skilled professionals.

Or maybe I dream far too much?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

"attempts to modernise have met resistance "

I'm not a member but I'm wondering what "modernise" means in this context.

First, "modernise" was what Tony Blair did to the Labour Party and look where that got us all. It made him and his family disgustingly rich though so maybe that's OK; after all, wealth is the ultimate objective (the stuff about camels and needles was just a joke, wasn't it?).

Second, what do members want from "modernisation"? For example, a .sig I've seen around and enjoyed says "legacy = stuff that works". There's a certain amount of truth in that; today's young 'uns seem to think that new necessarily means improved, whereas what it often means is repeating mistakes that the more experienced folks learned from twenty years or more ago, which in other branches of engineering and technology would be considered rather foolish, but repeating other people's mistakes in IT is considered normal behaviour?

11. Starkadder
    Coat

More of the Same

I have been a member of the BCS for over 40 years. I claimed the annual fee as an expense and felt there might one day be value in putting a few more letters after my name. No such luck. The BCS is largely seen as irrelevant. The people who work in a leading edge website research firm I am involved with laugh at the content of the BCS meetings I have pushed their way.

i spent many years working in California and discovered that paper qualifications mean little to most Silicon Valley firms. It helps to get in the door if you have a computer science degree, but after that you are judged almost exclusively by your track record. Those I have met here with computer science degrees and/or BCS membership at various levels find it hard to understand that their qualifications are usually worthless. Indeed e-skills (a quango partly funded by employers) has rated many British university computer science course and is unimpressed.

What to do? Is there any real need for the BCS? I feel that, on balance, there is not. Over 90% of the people working in IT in this country do not belong to it, and see no reason to belong. In the past the Society has made (pathetic) efforts to suggest that unless you were a member you might not be any good at your job. They have tried hard to introduce the concept of professionalism to an industry that needs it, but there are no effective sanctions for bad behaviour ("If you don't behave you can't call yourself MBCS" is not very frightening).

The right answer is probably to start again with a clean sheet of paper (a blank monitor?), and to keep the academics away. They often dominate the infighting that has prevented the BCS from becoming an effective force. How do I know this? I am an ex-academic. But it might be easier just to close the whole thing down.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Paris Hilton

But it might be ...

... easier just to close the whole thing down.

Agreed - voted.

This topic is closed for new posts.