back to article Nokia: Ovi developer price plunge permanent

Nokia has confirmed that the price drop for Ovi developers is permanent, losing the "beta" label previously applied and making Ovi the second cheapest app store to get on. The price cut was introduced last month along with the new Qt SDK, but the new pricing came with a "beta" tag which has now (unsurprisingly) been removed. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mr. Fatuous

Are Palm Dead Already?

The palm app store is free so that would make them at least the third cheapest

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

yes

palm are dead already, just a little twitching of the corpse

2. Rosco

I wish the price was higher for Android

Perhaps then the Market wouldn't be quite so full of dreadful crap and I'd be able to find applications with some semblance of quality

3. david bates
    Thumb Down

It might be the second cheapest...

but I'd put money on it being the worst by a fair margin. A dalliance with Ovi was the push I needed to make the leap from S60 to Android.

4. Wize

You can only polish a turd so much.

The store front end is poor.

There is no distinction between apps that are free, apps that are limited demo, and apps that, while free, need an internet connection to serve up adverts tying your use to somewhere with wifi or chewing up your credit.

Searching through it is poor. You have a choice of 'top rated free', 'top rated paid' and 'new'. Can't search for new free ones for example.

No versioning of software. Facebook keeps popping to the top of new apps, but its hard to tell if its a revision change as no revision numbers are mentioned. The only way to check is to try and install over what you have already.

At least they are trying to do something about the lack of apps.

As much as I hate to say it, maybe they should get their hands on an ipod touch/iphone and look at how their apps store works.

And if anyone is going to wave the 'freetard' banner, why pay more money on a phone when I'll be upgrading it to a different model thats probably not even compatible with the old apps?

5. LawLessLessLaw
    Boffin

certification fees ?

> One doesn't hear filmmakers complaining ... for having a film certified

Filmmakers don't pay that fee, it's applied to the distributor.

We show over 100 uncertified films a year in our cinema, we are trusted to self certificate by the local council who look after that sort of thing thanks to Cromwell.

6. MJI Silver badge
    FAIL

Never been able to get on

Complains about my browser, so stuff them - managed to get the sat nav app and maps though.

Big Clue Nokia - Firefox is popular!

1. MJI Silver badge
      Grenade

Whoops - wrong OVI site

It was their stupid OVI music store!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ovi still crap?

"The problem is that removing the per-application-signing fee turns the Ovi signing process into a loss leader for Nokia, which will be depending on application sales to make back the money - a model that some are already saying is unsustainable"

It seems the general public want an application store and decent selection of apps. If Nokia can't supply that *at almost any cost* then there won't be a place in the market *for* Nokia.

Is Ovi still a really really crap place to browse/find apps since I no longer own a Nokia handset?

8. Joe K
    FAIL

What a joke

Downloaded the store app on my work network, fine.

Tried it at home, still tries to log into the work WiFi, and no way to change it, crashes out.

Fucking awful coding. So much for buying some apps.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like