back to article UK airline pilots spot giant UFO

Two experienced airline pilots at the controls of separate flights have reported seeing a mystery object "up to a mile wide" hovering off the coast of Alderney on Monday, This is Guernsey reports. Captain Ray Bowyer, 50, of local airline Aurigny, spotted a "bright-yellow light" 10 miles west of Alderney at about 3pm during a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's all a bit sus'

Ahhh, so Alderney's tourism is down this year then ?

Back when I used to do a bit of cloud-worrying I met someone who said if he ever got in a bad situation he would transmit "Look at the tentacles on that thing!..."

Well if you are going out, you might as well give the AAIB something that will confuse them for years ;o)

2. Clay Garland

Please. . .

Can we get some google earth verification of this? I don't believe anything until google tells me that it is so.

3. Campbell

They fly

The Channel Island are nigh on impossible to get to even by air.

Air carriers seem to avoid the place like the plague so I find it very unlikely that there were 2 planes in the air heading for the Channel Islands around the same time.

Someone is telling porkys.

4. John MacLeod

Coincidence..?

...We've just discovered the closest planet available of (supposedly) supporting life, maybe they've been watching us for years ;-)

5. jazz

RAF?

why didnt they call some RAF over to have a look at it? or even shoot it down? i think its a bit weird how all these things are seen but no gets proper evidence... hmmmm on the other hand i guess if its real and its out there then looks like there getting closer to us... and also if this planet we saw the other day which is earth like.. its 20 lightyears ahead in time... 5billion of our years... just imagine how advanced or backwards they are... strange.. and whos to say that just because they are 20light years ahead that they arent backwards in technology etc.... perhaps were the most advanced out there? who knows... i don't.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Coincidence?

...And Google just lost a good set of personal user data to an unexplained bug!!

OMG, as we know, aliens could be the only cause for such a travesty!

7. frank zespa

suspicious sounds

There are rumours from nearby Jersey that a whirring noise & what sounded like Johnny Powell being accosted by Charlie Hungerford over the sleng teng riddim

8. Steve Roper

Re: RAF?

Jazz writes: "why didnt they call some RAF over to have a look at it? or even shoot it down?"

Good going, jazz. That attitude is why I'm against humans going into space! :o) Any race that can keep a mile-wide ship in the air without a flaming torrent of exhaust flattening everything underneath it, is not a race whose ships we are going to be able to "shoot down" with mere fighter jets. Even if we could, with say a nuke, I can just see the response to that on the mothership now:

"Captain Gl'hur, the Planet Three indigenes have just destroyed our survey vessel. Orders?"

"Well, it seems these creatures are irreconcilably hostile after all. Very well - recall all personnel from the planet, and have Ops stand by the planetary resonance disruptor."

"Yes sir."

"All personnel recalled, sir. The PRD is online and awaiting your command."

"Good. Stand by to fire on my mark, full power. I want that planet reduced to an asteroid field. Mark."

- KABOOM! -

And the peace of the Interstellar League is assured once again, as our heroes soar off into the heavens!

9. Simon Wilson

Lightyears

jazz, where did you get the idea that 20 light years equals 5 billion of "our" years? All 20 light years means is that it takes light (from the planet) 20 years to reach Earth. So, when we look at them through a telescope, that was them 20 years ago.

10. This post has been deleted by its author

11. Brian Hall

Time and distance

Simon, I think you have to be a bit more explicit and basic for anyone with jazz' evident level of education and comprehension.

Jazz, light-years measure distance. 1 light year is the distance light will travel in one year. The nearest star, e.g., is just over 4 light-years away, or over 20 trillion (10^12, or million million) miles. So if you travel at 1/10 light speed, or 18,600 miles per second (about 67 million mph), it will take you 40 years to get there. OK?

B.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Another one a month after

Another multi pilot sighting after nearly a month the same thing happend over new delhi. nearly 10 pilots saw something strange at the same time:

http://farshores.org/n07met2.htm

13. Octavo

useless info...

Since this earth-like planet revolves around it's sun once every 14 earth days, it stands to reason that 20 earth years = 521 earth-like planet years. So we're watching them 521 years into their past actually... :)

14. jazz

RE Brian

Wow looks like you know what numbers are... nice.. as for this light year business, i originally found this story on another news website which said 20 light years = 5 billion our years! so i would suggest Brian for you not to make remarks like the one above. However, thank you for correcting me and telling me how much 20 light years are.

15. Rob

Actually Campbell...

By CampbellPosted Friday 27th April 2007 12:35 GMT "The Channel Island are nigh on impossible to get to even by air.

Air carriers seem to avoid the place like the plague so I find it very unlikely that there were 2 planes in the air heading for the Channel Islands around the same time.

Someone is telling porkys."

I have no idea where you get your info from but you should do a little research before making ludicrous comments like the above. I happen to live on Guernsey and there are more than 20 flights into and out of the island every day.

16. Nome

More info

Aparently something similar(if not the same thing) is spotted over small town of Knin in Croatia late at night.

Picture taken with cell phone included.

Check it out at:

http://life4tech.com/

Cheers.

17. Bill

I, for one,

welcome our new earth quake causing overlords

18. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Oohhh ! He read something on a website !

So obviously, scientific knowledge cannot possibly come in the way of something read on a website. I'll bet that website wasn't Space.com or, God forbid, nasa.gov. Heaven protect us from basing our knowledge on websites that present scientific facts to their readers ! No, it's much better to read more enlightening sites, like thesun.co.uk, isn't it jazz ? Oh well, at least he can read.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shrug.

That's where you hear the Friendly Female Voice from Offstage:

"Potential Outside Context Problem detected. After this brief interlude, please go back to worry and do something about the continuing Real Problems that you are facing... cretins!"

Also, a couple of Men in Black shall visit you shortly. They will be of the "Mr. Smith" rather than the "Will Smith" variation.

20. Gerard Mulholland

20 light years and the speed of light and funny green and yellow sightings

Light travels at 186, 000 miles a second.

That's 11, 160, 000 miles per minute.

That's 669, 600, 000 miles an hour

which is 16, 070, 400, 000 miles per day

x 365.25

which is 5, 869, 713, 600, 000 miles per year.

so 20 light years is 117, 394, 272, 000, 000 miles

that's 117 trillion, 394 billion 272 million miles.

As for how long it would take to travel 20 light years at a quarter of the speed of light just think about it.

To travel 1 mile at a quarter of a mile an hour it takes 4 hours, right?

So you just multiply by 4 and there you are!

To travel 20 light years at a quarter of the speed of light it would take 80 years

However the really interesting question is what on earth are these green and yellow things suddenly being spotted all over the place?

Mirages brought about by fundamental atmospheric alteration due to climate change?

Not very credible, I agree but no more and no less believable than UFOs.

How about some better ideas?

21. mario

from Croatia

I saw this on http://dnevnik.hr/naslovnica/vijesti/hrvatska/20070428_16250.php

.it's little strange that this thing was spotted by first 10 pilots in india,then 2 pilots in england, and few days ago in my country Croatia by one man.

there's also a picture of that thing.

i'm not saying that was some alien, but everything is possible and nothing is inpossible. so until some scientist tells me that was i don't know what i belive that was some form of energy that might have intelignce.

sorry on my bad english.

and no one can tell me different

22. Antoine Dubuc

Special Relativity

When you are on your bicycle, ETA is a simple matter. But when your butt is on a gravity wave propelled by scalar waves or what have you and going at 99.9% of 'c', then ETA is another matter. It becomes a logarythmic function.

So it would mean that ETA would probably be around 200 000 years late for the folks waiting for you, and just on time for you.

Frame of reference. Its a tricky thing. Of course, if you change the frame of reference around you, i,e, the local spacetime, you can travel at the speed you want without relativistic effects because you are not in the fishbowl anymore.

For more whacky but mathematically sound stuff, http://www.cheniere.org -It's amazing how we don't take time to review the basics.. :)

Antoine

23. Chris Hughes

Great Big Zeppelin?

Just to throw a crazy and outlandish and fiendishly unreasonable suggestion in the air

I did hear that the americans were looking into great big zeppelin like aircraft as a possible means of transporting hundreds / thousands of tonnes of cargo (aka tanks & bombs) to anywhere in the world (wherever the dart lands on W's world map) relatively quickly.

I saw it on some discovery documentary, but ive been drunk since then so memory may not serve me well. if anyone can get any info on it to back up my crazy and outlandish theory that it might actually be a ******* huge balloon, it may prove useful to the discussion...

Or we can just say its aliens and call it quits...?

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Erm...

May I suggest both pilots visit http://www.specsavers.co.uk/ asap.

25. Jean-Charles DUBOC

Huge UFO….

The observation of captain Ray Bowyer UFO is really impressive for several reasons: day time, huge size, low altitude, nine minutes of sighting, passengers and other crew to confirm the fact….

I am a retired Air France captain, well known in France, to have seen, with my crew, a huge UFO over Paris on 28 January 1994, which has been identified by the Defence radar for 50 seconds.

The characteristics of this UFO were: lens shape, altitude 35 000 feet, 500 meters wide, brown red, one minute of observation, and dematerialization…

More information: http://baseovnifrance.free.fr/afr3532.php

This case has been officially identified by the GEIPAN depending of the Centre National d’Études Spatiales (CNES) in Toulouse: http://www.cnes.fr/web/4461-geipan.php

In 60 years, all over the world, there are a total of about 1300 UFO observations which have been made by civil or military pilots, and 15% of these observations have been confirmed by radar.

A really scaring reality!...

If the UFO seen by captain Ray Bowyer has been identified by the British Defence, or the French Defence, you have to know that this radar identification could have been classified, for several weeks, or months…

The air lines pilots, and public, need to be officially informed about UFO which seems not to be dangerous if they are not aggressed…

Jean-Charles DUBOC

26. John Wilson

Re: Jazz's figures

Jazz's figure of 5 billion appears to have come from Sky, with an appalling write-up of the planet's discovery:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-1262484,00.html?f=rss

By my calculations, that would mean that our fastest rockets can only plod along at a measly 23,513 miles per year. Or about 2 miles per hour.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Huge UFO?

lens shape, 35,000ft, 500m wide?

Sounds like a lenticular cloud to me.

28. jazz

thanks

Thank you John for confirming the fact that the article i read was not from The Sun. i think Pascal should get his head out of reading the "Daily Sport"... anyhow lets stick to the orignal story shall we!

Re: Jazz's figures

By John WilsonPosted Monday 30th April 2007 11:17 GMT Jazz's figure of 5 billion appears to have come from Sky, with an appalling write-up of the planet's discovery:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-1262484,00.html?f=rss

By my calculations, that would mean that our fastest rockets can only plod along at a measly 23,513 miles per year. Or about 2 miles per hour.

29. Simon Dainty

The nearest star?

Brian Hall, the nearest star isn't even a lightyear away. And there's confirmed proof that a race of strange young bipeds, evolved from tree-swinging primates no less, currently inhabit The Third Rock From The Sun. However, the jury is still out regarding whether these strange bipeds are actually intelligent.

30. Demian Phillips

intellergint

I no longer think digital watches are a neat idea, however I do have this PDA that I think is neat.

31. jazz

RE Brian,

Simon, I think you have to be a bit more explicit and basic for anyone with Brians' evident level of education, comprehension and knownledge! ; )

This topic is closed for new posts.