back to article Rogue ActiveX controls menace users

Flaws in ActiveX controls are being increasingly used to run security exploits. Arbitrary file overwrite and deletion flaws, typically exploited through ActiveX controls, are well on the way to becoming a new class of security flaw, according to net security firm Symantec. "These vulnerabilities exist particularly because of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

you missed the point

The trusted ones are already being used and already on the users system your last paragraph doesn't help in fact if the activex control doesn't say where it can be called from it can be used by any website you visit thats what is new about this. It IE I mean may block you from picking up any new ones but the others came with programs you installed hp printer vmware etc and so there is nothing IE can block you would have to turn off the WSH to make sure they don't do anything but then you couldn't use them.

2. Franklin
    Pirate

Trusted ActiveX controls?

"Trusted"? You keep using that word...I do not think it means what you think it means.

3. Morely Dotes
    Alert

Correction

"by default, Internet Explorer blocks ActiveX controls."

I think you mean that IE 7 blocks ActiveX controls by default. Earlier version of IE will merrily execute this carefully-designed core flaw in the Microsoft virus-farm stable.

Yet another reason that IE should be unbundeld from the OS - by force of law, if that's what it takes.

4. amanfromMars Silver badge

Core Indicators..... for Shut Down or Melt Down....... or, of course, ReStreaming

"Earlier version of IE will merrily execute this carefully-designed core flaw in the Microsoft virus-farm stable." Is that an Astute Observation held by more than a Few?

It is also a very convenient port/means by which to Input VXXXXine/MetaData into the Core, Morely Dotes, with its rejection or assimilation indicative of Core Intent.

And with the Information/Intelligence leak will the Next Steps be decided upon.

5. Rusty D

Re: Trusted ActiveX controls?

Love the 'TPB' reference.

This topic is closed for new posts.