back to article UK scraps Fibre Tax review

The coalition government has scrapped the promised review on the tax paid on fibre-optic connections, leaving BT and Virgin with enough tax advantages to maintain their duopoly. Confirmation that the review is to be dropped comes from Ed Vaizey, Minister for Communication, Culture and the Creative Industries, which is where …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ian 62

Campaign promise not upheld? I'm shocked!!

Oh, no hangon.. No I'm not.

They'll have got some cash in a dirty brown enevelope from a campaigner to open it up to competion during their election campaign. Now theyre in power, they'll have done some 'consulting' work for BT or Virgin and funnily enough changed their minds.

Gravy train meets easy street.

2. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Virgin needs LLU

Virgin needs to have its infrastructure split from its services, and splitting its services wouldn't be a bad idea either; it seems the only way they are going to put customers at the same priority as profit is with competition.

3. Dr. Mouse

Politicians

Don't know why anyone expected any different.

New politicians, new promises broken.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Shocked. NOT.

Politicians lie,

Fat cats stay fat,

I smell brown envelopes.

5. Citizen Kaned

in other news...

bears found shitting in woods shocker

breaking news.... pope found to be catholic

move along, nothing to see here!

on a side note though, didnt NTL (or whoever) actually pay to lay their cable, where BT was gov owned and therefore paid for by the tax payers. or am i wrong?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

pay to play?

Not really. The cable compaines borrowed vast sums of money from the banks which they've never paid back. Look at how much debt Virgin is carrying.

When BT and it's predecessors were in public ownership they made a profit and the government made money from its ownership - so the taxpayer in effect gave the GPO a loan to build the local network which they got repaid with interest and then the government sold the network and company to the public in exchange for money used to fund tax cuts.

6. copsewood
    Headmaster

Wrong standard of accountability

If these were Conservative promises in what sense are the Conservative part of the coalition expected to keep these without our Lib-Dem support ? Do please hold the coalition to promises made in both the Lib-Dem and the Conservative manifestos. Hold the government to the coalition agreement as published. As far as I am concerned everything else is negotiable, based on what I would hope and expect, is believed in the best public interest in consideration of the fact that individual party memberships can be cancelled at any time - mine's a monthly subscription. But don't hold us to what just one of the coalition parties wants without majority support from the electorate please.

7. WonkoTheSane
    FAIL

Politics in 3 easy steps

1: Promise everything

2: Deliver nothing

3: Blame other guy.

8. Reticulate

Fibre rating.

Announcing this at a Vtesse launch was a bit unkind, since if I remember correctly it was Vtesse that was taking the government to court in Brussels alleging state aid -- based on the lower rates paid by BT compared with, say, Vtesse...

9. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Flame

A more level playing field might encourage more competition

Which is something I thought the coalition quite likes.

BTW Cynicism is the *easiest* political posture.

No effort required.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like