back to article Ryanair plumps for Dell EqualLogic

Ryanair, the low-cost airline renowned for its customer service, has chosen a Dell EqualLogic storage system for its Dublin data centre, rejecting competing offers from HP and an IBM/NetApp combo. The contract is worth €470,000 and is part of a Ryanair data centre upgrade intended to improve its internal IT. Ryanair is aiming …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Renowned for it's customer service"?

Such subtlety in your insults. I like it.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lets hope that ...

.... the find after they've installed it that they keep on getting pop-ups saying "this database access will cost €5. This charge covers the cost of handling this transaction and enables us to keep our server costs so low", followed by "if you want to store data in this database the cost will be €15 per record or €20 in high season - this charge covers the costs of storing data and enables us to keep our server costs so low ... you can always save money by not storing data and getting new data when you need it".

1. Captain TickTock
      Pirate

To access your data...

transfer times on the data bus are longer than the actual query, because the data is not stored in the database you paid for, but in the real one, which is 2 hours away.

3. Sebastian Brosig
    Thumb Down

not an example of best practise

HP and IBM probably quoted twice the price because they didn't want their reputation tarnished by an airline that shuts down its website for hours of "planned maintenance" while operating a stiff price penalty for not checking in on-line.

4. Pete 2 Silver badge

Excluding the extras?

Oh, you want cables too? That's an extra €100,000.

cabinets ..... <much sucking of teeth> ... €150,000 more please

and if you're not paying by Dell credit card there's a surcharge of €50,000

plus another €25,000 for using our website.

5. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

<surprised>

They didn't just buy some pikey off-brand shonky shite from a random website, based solely on whatever was cheapest that week?

Does Michael O'Leary not eat his own (in-flight, paid-for) dog-food, then?

1. Arion

Yes

Yes - he does.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

My fantasy wish..........

That when it arrives, DELL charges them extra for nuts, bolts, cables and rack mountings; until the price is 4-5 times the headline price; THEN add tax and charge a huge handling fee if they cant pay by some obscure method or currency that no-one has heard of.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Love to handle support on this one

I would so love to be the support team on this. Oh, you wanted the power cables as well? That's extra. No, they are non-standard, nobody else makes them. While we are at it, have you ordered any packet capacity yet? Yes, all our routers are now pay by the megabyte. If you prepay, it only costs half as much. What next? You want your data back. Let me see...

Dell and Ryanair were made for each other.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

iSCSI connection limit

Let's hope they don't hit the 512 connections per pool connection limit then

(connection = from 1 host to 1 nic, take 4 hosts with 2 nics (8 nics total) plus 4 arrays with 2 nics (8 nics total) = 8 x 8 = 64 iSCSI connections PER VOLUME)

and 512 connection is the enterprise (PS6000) series. The PS4000 series has a piddly 128 connection limit.

Round robin load balancing? Not with those metrics, thanks.

9. TeeCee Gold badge
    WTF?

Eh?

"Dell's presence in Ireland seems to have been influential in Ryanair's decision."

Surely that should read:

"Hon Hai Precision's presence in Poland seems to have........."

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2009/03/25/dell_limerick_withdrawal/

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2009/12/04/dell_poland/

10. MarkA

Figures

Mind you, I'm surprised they didn't go for the HP/LH gear. A bunch of old servers hanging around with a few disks in it here and there to be turned into a distributed SAN seems right up O'Leary's street.

I am not surprised they didn't go for the IBM N Series (inferred by the NetApp angle) since that would have been a bit pricey. The N Series is fully featured unified storage against the, err, whatever the heck that Dell claim their stuff is.

11. Doogie Howser MD
    Unhappy

So many jokes!

Oooh oooh! Where to go where others have not already tread? It seems that all the jokes about extras, credit cards etc. have already been done, so there isn't much left, except maybe:-

- You need to put a pound/euro in the door slot when you go into the data centre (non refundable)

- When IT arrives in the morning, they play musical chairs and sit wherever they can on a first come, first served basis (unless they've paid for priority desking)

- ID swipe card not working, Paddy? That'll be 50 Euro please

I'm sure I also read somewhere a while back that O'Leary had wall sockets removed so that staff couldn't charge their personal mobiles on Ryanair's expense. I imagine this is true. He's a chancer, that guy....

12. FreeTard
    Thumb Down

sooo many negative comments...

...from people who obviously have never worked with Cherrywood escalations.

You cannot base support on Bangalore ladies.

Seriously people...

13. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

What a lot of voting down of anything...

that takes the piss out of LyinAir.

Is that you, Mr O'L?

14. Patrick O'Reilly
    Big Brother

Don't know what you're all moaning about?

Ryanair has slashed the cost of air travel, revolutionised an industry and not you're moaning coz you don't get little packs of pretzels anymore?

O'Leary is a genius, the man got a taxi license just to use the bus lanes.

1. Wanda Lust
      WTF?

No, he didn't revolutionise anything

Michael D'lerious didn't revolutionise anything. He took the Southwest Airlines model from the US and planted it in Europe. Using his buses is only cheap if you're one of the small percentage of people who can book well in advance of travel. He then copied Richard Branson's personal branding style, adding his own brash approach to maximise the free PR.

It's not the lack of free pretzels that's the problem, it's the lack of any consistency with the conditions of service from other airlines that is the core of the problem. His rules are different to everyone else's, subtly in most cases, but enough that Ryanair can sting you for more charges if you transgress.

Will be interested to hear how the Equalogic deployment goes, another reason to keep away from ryanair.com

15. Arion

Customer Service?

I wonder if the author is refering to Ryanairs best on-time record, and fewest lost bags, etc, or if he's being ironic, and refering to Ryanairs refusal to pay for things that should be covered by travel insurance.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sorry Patrick O'Reilly

I have had the "pleasure" of doing business with Michael O'Leary and trying to extract money that was due for IT comms charges

"....I'm not paying these f...king charges"

"...but it's in your contract..."

Not much fun there.

He doesn't treat the staff any better.

Cabin Crew pay for their own uniforms, training, Airside passes, car parking etc.

Flight Deck crew much the same including taking Simulator checks in their days-off.

Compare and contrast with the excellent Southwest Airlines in the US - there, the staff are treated much better and provide good service.

17. The Real Loki

They deserve each other....

their respective customer service departments are of equal quality.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like