back to article CSC announces another round of UK job cuts

CSC is shifting more UK jobs offshore in an effort to control costs. The latest round of redundancies will hit the Global Infrastructure Services (GIS) department. Initially, voluntary redundancies will be offered but compulsory job losses are likely if not enough volunteers are found. The company hopes to have the process …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Slave drivers

I wasted two years of my life in "GIS". It was like working in a Roman slave galley.

No wonder they are moving all the jobs to the third world - it's easier to crack the whip harder and pay fewer peanuts.

2. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

More fun with CSC

Having survived the voluntary redundancies a few months back we were told everyone remaining would get a letter saying they were okay. That process was never closed off.

Last week another group in our office were told they are now in the frame for voluntary redundancies.

There was also the new plan by end of the FY to create a services delivery group, which is basically all where we were 8 years ago before our outsourcing to CSC which split us all up.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Those vampires...

...stole 4yrs of my life, I'm glad I got out long ago. There's a few people I know who still work for them, I wish them no ill, but that company can burn in damnation for all I care...

4. John A Blackley

Oh Yeah

There's a shortage of IT skills in the EU so we need to institute a Blue Card scheme to fix that.

5. Lickass McClippers
    Boffin

RE: Oh Yeah

I spied that this morning too, I think what they mean is, there's a shortage of people willing to work for "£16k + laptop + mobile phone". Seriously, sort it out folks...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Corporate American Greed at its greatest

I worked for these so "outsourcing Experts" for over 7 years, in that time i have seen some very good people become totally disillusioned with the IT industry and especially the large American and Canadian firms.

From experience they enter a firm when it is doing well, dismantle and fragment a already well designed infrastructure, introduce so much administrative procedures and political red tape in order to accrue more revenue. Never believe the spiel or rhetoric they tout if they enter your company, inevitably it turns out to be a thinly vieled web of lies.

It never ceased to amaze me that the so-called procession of "Managers", never actually had any ideas of how to manage employees and always used the line "but sure you know what csc is like" in order to cover their inept abilites and that of those whom managed them. Decisions on who goes is not actually based upon abilities but rather on the old adage "you scratch my back and i'll scratch yours", hence the large proportion of managers to actual staff performing the job.

Csc's latest scheme is to pay off the people actually employed to do the work, make them sign a non-disclosure agreement and then hire a contractor to do the same work at "a cost saving". The contractors are loving this as they get a large wage, in most cases a lot more than the employee was earning before them and they perform a totally inadequate job as they dont care about the company nor the people who work for them.

My advice is simple for anyone employed by them, take your VR money and run before one of two things happen :

1 - Your job, if it can be done remotely will be off shored to the likes of CSC india which happened with most of the British server people.

2 - If you need local access to facilities to do your job, you will be layed off and then replaced by a contractor who probably knows absolutely nothing about anything but can "talk the talk".

Please do not think this is sour grapes, it is from personal experiences and CSC truely treat you as a "number" and not a individual as they so like to "tout".

Everything is based on financial returns to their stockholders and Mr Moneycutt's (he, he) bonus at the end of the year. If they can hide employees in financial figures by employing contractors then their profitability to number of persons employed increases and therefore their "share price" increases.

It is like the weakest link, how can you vote for yourself to go ?, this is the decision most of these inept and pointless managers take every day. CSC you are the weakest link, GOODBYE !

7. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Snakes in the grass

[Sentence removed by moderator] Thank God I got out when I did... you don't realise how bad it is until you leave. They suck the life blood from you then make you think it's your fault...

You just watch they will want to start off shoring all the goverment contracts until nothing is left in this country.. I feel so sorry certain people left in this company who work their fingers to the bone.

There are some brilliantly talented people who were a pleasure to work with . They should all leave a go elsewhere and see CSC start to lose accounts right left and centre thats the only way they will learn how to treat people correctly.

Talk about a caring company I don't think so....

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Its tough at the top .........

Having worked for this "process driven" company for over 10 years after

being "dumb sized" and outsourced, its hard not to be cynical when you

see the money the likes of Mr Moneycutt and others are making on CSC

share deals.

We all know that the ultimate objective is to cut costs to the bone by

offloading all jobs to India.

See how these "leaders" make money ==>

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/it?s=CSC

Can't wait to retire !!!!!!!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Why not other divisions at CSC ?

The question that always frustrates me is that why are no other divisions affected by these cuts i.e. GTS etc ?

It is always GIS and not GTS or any other divisions ...

Just my two cents

10. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Chicken Sh!t Company

Can't agree more with all the comments made thus far!

I worked for the 'outsourced' company for 18 years (only lasted a further 18 months in CSC) and knew the systems inside out on my account, but all CSC were interested in was how quickly they could 'offshore' the TUPE'd staff and not how to supply a good stable service. What took me and my team 1 week to do, can now take upto a couple of months and then sometimes doesn't work. All they talk about are service credits and nothing ever seems to get sorted.

I was one of the lucky ones to get out with VR, and I just feel sorry for the guys left having to deal with the crap on my account. I payed a visit to one of my last remaining friends still working there and morale was lower than a snakes belly in a wagon rut!

WORD OF WARNING. If your company is looking to deal with these weasels and your a technical resource (CSC term), make sure you either make Jobserve your new home page or start learning Indian!

This topic is closed for new posts.