back to article Critical jailbreak hole plugged in Foxit Reader

The Foxit document reader has been updated to fix the same critical bug that currently leaves iPhones, iPads, and iPod touches wide open to malware attacks. Foxit Reader version 4.1.1.0805 “fixes the crash issue caused by the new iPhone/iPad jailbreak program which can be exploited to inject arbitrary code into a system and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. heyrick Silver badge

Just goes to show...

...there is no such thing as a vuln-free program. Some are better than others, but everything can be exploited if you look hard enough.

2. ArmanX
    Linux

Hey, I wrote a vuln-free program once!

After running about five seconds, it destroyed the hard drive it was on. Hah! Exploit THIS!

That being said, while nothing is truly free of exploits, some things are just more secure than others. Like Windows XP, service pack 2, versus Windows 98. (I haven't mentioned Linux, but do I really need to?)

3. Gordon Barret
    FAIL

Bloatware

Having far fewer (but still some as we have seen ...) vulnerabilities is not the main reason people like Foxit - it is about 20th the size of Adobe's latest version of bloatware!

4. John Tserkezis
    FAIL

That's nice, but...

It is only free for non-commercial use.

So if you have a tight IT department, the Adobe flavour + appropriate registry fixes works nicely.

That and, Foxit Free, isn't quite as free as Adobe Reader, it forcibly sprouts ads (albeit small ones).

Adobe Reader, doesn't have this particular issue.

Yes, it's on the chunkified side, but I can live with that.

Worst of all, there is no on-line pricing for Foxit Reader. You have to submit Licensee Information before they'll give you a quote: It rubs me up in a very wrong way when vendors demand detailed deployment details, email addies, phone numbers, locations before they quote a price.

1. heyrick Silver badge

@ John Tserkezis

On submitting information before providing a quote, it reminds me of boot sale vendors who don't stick price labels on things and seem a little "clueless" when you ask the price. You know damn well that they're taking time to size you up to work out how much they think you'll stand to pay.

For a software company to not have a *clear* price on their site (inc. site licence fees) ... you gotta ask yourself why? [and, as a side point, what's their privacy policy regarding information submitted for a quote?] It's all a bit suspicious.

5. Simon2
    WTF?

Free for non commercial use?

Just checked the foxitsoftware website and they openly advertise Foxit Reader 4.1 for free download. If I can download it for free, what's to stop the IT dept of a company installing it on their computers? I didn't have to provide an email address or anything.

This topic is closed for new posts.