back to article Lonely Planet augments muggers' earnings

Lonely Planet's latest Compass Guides offer Android handset-packing city visitors an augmented version of reality, if they aren't busy finding the perfect geek destination at FourEyesUp. Anyone planning a late summer trip might like to take a look at that new service, which promises to provide details of educational sites …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lottie

good idea

and a neat use of the GPS thingymabob.

I, however, wouldn't be flashing my handset about while wandering through a strange city. Well not if they don't have a "mugger" tag and an arrow.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good idea, but no Mexico City?

I spent two years there and still only explored about 10% of the interesting things to see just in Mexico City.

Mind you, you *really* wouldn't want to pull out your smartphone too much there... Maybe it should have a "vibrate when I'm near something interesting" option.

1. I didn't do IT.
      Thumb Up

Re: Vibrate when...

I would much rather have it vibrate to let me know I should get the flock out of where ever I am!

3. JaitcH
    Pint

Lonely Planet: A BBC property unlike others

Lonely Planet is the oldest but not the greatest travel resource. Many others - Footprint, Roughguide, Fodors, Frommers - have a far better record for accuracy and currency. LP's staff cuts are reflected in it's regurgitation of old, inaccurate data published annually for, seemingly, the sole purpose of cash flow generation.

LP was famous for maintaining service on the KunMing <> HeKou narrow gauge railway in Western China in it's guide books for two years after it fell into a river following a landslide.

They also recommended a hotel in the Philippines for 3 or 4 years, in it's guidebooks, after the property was consumed in a fire!

Their low point came when it was revealed guide writers accepted gratuities in return for write ups in they guides (see: < http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/blog/2008/apr/14/thelessthanlonelyplanet > and < http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Writers-Hell-Swashbuckling-Questionable/dp/0307394654 >).

Let's hope that Lonely Planet's venture into new media is built on fresh data for cities like SaiGon and Ha Noi are changing so frequently that even residents have a tough time keeping up with progress.

1. Jimmy Floyd

Rough Guide

I disagree about Rough Guide (and, for that matter, Lonely Planet which I usually find excellent).

Rough Guide is just that: rough. When I went to New Zealand on a world tour their book about the country included some trendy colonial-bashing articles using historically inaccurate evidence about the relationship between the British and the Maoris. It might have been seen to be 'cool' to bash the native-beating British but accurate it wasn't. The edition was also peppered with adverts. If I get adverts I expect the book to be free (or else I'd be a Sky subscriber!).

We had been using Lonely Planet for the previous five months of our travels through China, SE Asia and Australia, and we went straight back to it afterwards. Got a trip next month though for which we've bought a LP, so I'm hoping I don't end up eating my words (or the book).

4. Disco-Legend-Zeke
    Paris Hilton

Geo Reality Overlays Are...

...the coolest new software i have seen in a long time.

Besides museums and merchants, there is room in the GPS universe for a monster social networking app to emerge.

Now just add a little Gait recognition and automatic threat reporting to make the devices less desirable to thieves.

Privacy? Hold on while i look up that word in Google.

Paris because im trying to quit drinking.

5. John King 1
    Coat

Safe as..

After visiting both cities (get me!) I would say you should be more careful in London. How long until the Kabul map comes out?

6. ks2problema
    WTF?

Mugger?

Don't get the 'mugger' reference in the post title -- unless 'mugger' has a different meaning outside that wee cultural backwater we like to call the US of A.

It's sad to see online guides falling prey to various forms of corruption and coercion. The Yelp! payola scandal really brought a lot of this to the attention of many folks for the first time.

1. DaveyDaveDave

Evidently it does...

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=mugger

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sunglasses with screens

This seems to be an ideal application for sunglasses with little 'heads-up' screens embedded into them. A bluetooth connection would allow the phone to stay safely in your pocket (assuming your pocket is safe).

8. StanTimek
    Thumb Up

These make augmented reality useful

It's apps like these that take augmented reality from the novelty category and place it firmly in the useful/must have position. Games and lightweight advertising/marketing applications of augmented reality have their place but for the technology to really become mainstream we need things like Lonely Planet's guides and (self promotion warning) the greeting cards that my company, Atomic Greetings produces. These applications make augmented reality truly useful to the average person. For travelers, finding points of interest quickly and easily is invaluable. As for my firm, augmented reality allows people to record a video message inside the greeting card - making their communication so much more personal and real.

Stan Timek

Atomic Greetings

Augmented reality greeting cards done right, with video !

9. david 12 Silver badge

Seattle?

Paris and NY I understand, but I didn't realize Seattle was a tourist destination. What are the attractions?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like