back to article Dell does factory fresh virus infections?

How the hell does a virus-infected set of motherboards find their way into the supply chain of a major system vendor? The vendor delivering the bad boards was Dell, and they’re blaming a slipshod supplier and ‘human error’. Yeah – human error. You can read all about it here and here. The virus in question was a variant of an …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Elex

Elegant

I like the way this article evolves.

2. eugene
    Stop

It's *replacement* motherboards

it's dumb, but in the interest of fairness and accurate unbiased reporting, i think this article should state that it was only replacement motherboards that had the infection. i.e. if you had that particular server and it died, requiring a motherboard swap, that replacement motherboard would have had the bug.

The way the article is written can easily make people think the problem is worse - that Dell are shipping factory-fresh servers with malware-ridden motherboards.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

And at the end

... you have a microwave with the power of a 1950's toaster.... congratulations.

The hidden trojans are probably sending their stolen payloads to 1.1.1.1

4. Wallyb132
    Coat

You had me up till the last sentence...

I can assure you of a couple things...

1, If you're using Norton to protect you, you have far greater things to worry about than some long shot, one in a quadrillion chance of success, super exploit...

2, No Norton wont run on your microwave, or more correctly your microwave wont run with norton on it. even if you did manage to get it installed, you microwave would crash on next reboot and after that would never cook food right, and would become susceptible to untold amounts of ancient and long forgotten about viruses... With the only way to fix these problems being to uninstall norton, after uninstalling, you would get a message on next reboot that says "Your Microwave has just recovered from a serious error. Would you like to send and error report?"

1. Steven Burn
      Thumb Up

LOL!

You owe me a new keyboard!

5. bugalugs

burger anyone ?

...remember the dog$^!t is between the buns and probably un-detectable 'til too late !

... and Norton won't run on anything for very long

6. Mark Cathcart
    WTF?

Emotional rant passes as what, news?

Clever use of emotion over logic, while your point might be somewhat valid its backed by almost no fact(oid)s. Remember, even Star Wars was fiction... Do you know or even have a clue if the virus in this case was easily detected ? I think not... Can you describe how it was in the "Supply chain"?

We can all imagine doomsday scenarios, but implementing is much harder. I'd be MUCH, MUCH more worried about loading new ROMS downloaded from the internets on your phone... seriously...

This topic is closed for new posts.