back to article Is it all over for Mars Rover?

NASA is warning that we might have heard the last message from the Mars Exploration Rover Spirit because it might not survive the Martian winter. The Spirit Rover hasn't been heard from since 22 March. The team expected it to go into hibernation mode because the low angle of the sun and the Rover's position make its solar …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Easy solution

They should send somebody with a brush to wipe the solar panels clean and put some oil in the wheels bearings. Oh and while the cleaner is there ask him to pick up some samples of the "blueberries" and stuff, so that we could get at least some hard data about the surface rather than continue relying on pictures and guesswork...

2. Ian K
    Happy

Any mention of Spirit...

...pretty much requires a link to this:

http://xkcd.com/695/

It's the law.

1. Samo
      Heart

Very true

Damn damn damn damn damn you beat me to it! I have the link copied and everything!

Heart, because I loved the comic

3. AJ01

Sound

Can Anyone tell me why they have not put a microphone on any of the landers? Seeing is believeing but sound would add a fair bit of depth.

1. Michael 82
      Thumb Up

Sound

They probably have but *they* do not want you to hear the martians talking!

*MJ12, NASA, insert name of alien race here, etc etc

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Miek
    Joke

Why the title is required, and why it must contain letters and/or digits?

We are now collecting old clothes and blankets to send as aid to the poor rover for it's sterling service.

http://xkcd.com/695/

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Why the title is required, and why it must contain letters and/or digits?

Hey, has anyone got a pertinent xkcd link? I for one would like to see one.

1. Adam Foxton
        IT Angle

You think that's bad?

Just wait until there's a story about room-sized plastic ballpools. You'll have XKCD links AND people saying "Where's the IT angle" to deal with!

1. Blain Hamon
          Thumb Up

That would be awesome, actually.

I so want to see a story about room-sized plastic ballpools. 10 to 1 odds Google already has one hidden in their complex already.

6. Daniel Wilkie

@AJ01

I'm assuming you wouldn't receive much as the atmosphere is so thin?

Same reasont here's no point taking a microphone to the moon.

7. Tom Paine

NASA PR fail

This is just a bad bit of NASA PR. When Spirit went into low-power hibernation mode before the winter solstice it was well-prepared for; the engineering team; it's not expected to have enough power to get through it's boot cycle and start transmitting the "here I am" beacon for at least another month. TPS' own Emily Lakdawalla put it well:

http://www.planetary.org/blog/article/00002607/

PS Vladimir -- it may surprise you to learn that the MERs *DO* in fact carry other instruments apart from the cameras, in particular a Mossbauer Spectrometer and an Alpha Particle X-Ray Spectrometer, both of which provide plenty of the "hard evidence" you demand.

Erik -- you're not even wrong.

8. Tom Paine

sound

PS AJ01 <blockquote>Can Anyone tell me why they have not put a microphone on any of the landers? Seeing is believeing but sound would add a fair bit of depth.</blockquote>

(1) there's nothing to hear. The atmosphere is about as thin as earth's is at 100,000'.

(2) for every instrument you add, another one has to come off. What would you trade audio sensors for -- the APXS? navcams? pancams? MI?

9. ian 22

Done Roving

Spirit will never rove again on the bonny bonny banks of..... Oh wait.

Even if she responds to NASA's "Good Morning", she's stationary forever more. Well done, regardless.

10. Paul RND*1000
    Unhappy

Is it wrong for me...

...to feel a little bit like crying just now?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward