back to article Data breaches blamed on organised crime

Cybercrooks continue to be a menace to corporate security, with hackers and malware authors collectibly responsible for 85 per cent of all stolen data. The latest edition of Verizon's annual data breach report also records a rise in insider threats and greater use of social engineering. Verizon worked with the US Secret …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Thomas 18

85% is a misleading figure

It's:

48% involved privilege misuse (+26%)

40% resulted from hacking (-24%)

38% utilized malware (<>)

28% employed social tactics (+16%)

15% comprised physical attacks (+6%)

So if a hacker uses malware it counts as a tick in both columns... unless I'm misreading the report

1. Wallyb132
      FAIL

33% of the commentards of this story...

33% of the commentards of this story suffer from reading comprehension difficulties.

85% of the attacks were not technically difficult (which could fall in to all categories), which isnt to be confused with technical difficulties, which could used to describe how you arrived at the conclusions which led to you authoring the comment above.

1. Thomas 18
        WTF?

Next time check your facts before you post

I refer to "... with hackers and malware authors collectibly responsible for 85 per cent of all stolen data."

Not as you seem to have brashly assumed, the completely unrelated section saying "The vast majority (85 per cent) of the breaches were not considered highly difficult"

2. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

As opposed to...

...just stealing the computer.

I assume.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like