back to article Oracle and HP make a deal for Solaris on ProLiants

The inscrutable plan of Oracle for Solaris 10 on x64 servers became more... scrutable this morning. The company announced that Dell and Hewlett-Packard would be certifying and reselling Oracle's Solaris and Enterprise Linux operating systems, as well as its Oracle VM implementation of the Xen hypervisor on their respective …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Billl
    Grenade

I love how Oracle...

I love how Oracle ALWAYS keeps the Tech Rags guessing. It's an interesting style, really. Not unlike Apple. Of course the difference being that Oracle is always expected to do the wrong thing and Apple the right thing. The funny part being that when Apple does the wrong thing the press goes bonkers... and when Oracle does the right thing, the press forgets to acknowledge how wrong they were.

I commend TPM for at least acknowledging a small bit of how wrong he was:

"I think Oracle doesn't want anyone with a Unix of its own to be able to have the stop-gap position of being able to peddle Solaris on their machines against Oracle. If Oracle ever wants one thing, it is complete control over a situation."

There was much other wrong guessing, but to be fair Oracle does not leave a whole lot for the rags to work from. I think it is only prudent for all of the guessers to just sit back and wait for Oracle to announce their intentions, rather than constantly guessing wrong.

2. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Are you missing someone

No seriously, Fujitsu have been manufacturing and reselling x86 and SPARC on solaris for years?

Oracle cant piss them off as they manufacture the bloody M range for SUN/Oracle.

3. billse10
    Grenade

@bill

" I think it is only prudent for all of the guessers to just sit back and wait for Oracle to announce their intentions, rather than constantly guessing wrong."

Must be nice to live in a little, safe, certainty-bounded world where one can wait for that, and not having had to have rolled-out services based on previously-announced product roadmaps and firm commitments that are now up-in-the-air depending on what mood Larry (or Steve, in many cases just as bad) may be in today.

again, El Reg, can we have a pair of Good / Evil Larry icons pls? :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

@bill2

"Must be nice to live in a little, safe, certainty-bounded world where one can wait for that, and not having had to have rolled-out services based on previously-announced product roadmaps and firm commitments that are now up-in-the-air depending on what mood Larry (or Steve, in many cases just as bad) may be in today."

Well, you've just vindicated Oracle's policy of never publish any roadmap or make forward looking statements regarding upcoming products!

1. billse10

@AC @ bill2

i'd prefer that. With a proviso: if the forward-looking statement has already been made, don't back down on it. Change timescale maybe, but don't just stop.

Ripping up previously announced roadmaps causes problems; not announcing them causes people to buy cheap sh*t servers (and therefore help contribute towards SEC settlements) but surely it's far worse if someone uses an OS for specific features that aren't available elsewhere only to have the Company that effectively controls it to deny all responsibility for statements it's employees previously made?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Poor littly Matty...

Any bets on how he took the news? Passed out in a gutter? Jumping off a roof? Or will we still see mindless ramblings of nonsense?

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      FAIL

RE: Poor littly Matty

I think you Sunshiners should be more worried about what remains of the Sun hardware teams. If Larry had pulled support contracts with Dell and hp and insisted that Slowaris x86/64 could only be supported on Soreacle x64 kit, then the ex-Sun hardware boys would have stood a slim chance of actually selling some Soreacle x64 kit and keeping their jobs. But now, with hp and Dell both much, much better at the x64 game, I guess those ex-Sun hardware boys will be busy getting their CVs up-to-date whilst htey wait for Larry's axe to swing.

/SP&L

1. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

RE: Poor littly Matty

Never heard of bundling discounts? Think the playing field will be truly level?

Come on, they want the cash and won't want HP / IBM / Dell making off with their Service revenue if it can be helped. Not much cash in it for them to make when all they got was a measly licence sale for Solaris on someone else's tin. No extended Storage selling, not much chance to sell layered software etc.

Like the earlier poster, it's a wait-n-see game as to what they do.

Give us another prophecy though, just for old times sake or maybe you could make up another story. I really like the one about the "hardware business firesale to HP".....

The "Itanium will rule everything" style stuff was amusing as well, any more gems up your sleeve?

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
          FAIL

RE: RE: Poor littly Matty

"Never heard of bundling discounts?...." Yes, but that will mean selling the hardware at a loss, and a steep loss it Larry wants to match ProLiant, let alone beat hp on price. Consider that hp's size in the market means it can get much better discounts from suppliers that have no interest in Larry's software bundling. Larry doesn't like losses, he runs Oracle for a profit. And then Larry has no answer to the way hp can swamp a customer by hitting all the areas Snoreacle doesn't play, such as desktops, printers, or management software.

".....Come on, they want the cash and won't want HP / IBM / Dell making off with their Service revenue if it can be helped......" Slight problem - Snoreacle doesn't have any services capabillity! It would be hard enough competing against hp's clout in the channel, but hp also has EDS. Larry has no services, and he alienated the channel by taking the top Sun accounts direct. Don't even start with a comparison to IBM or Dell, they both have better services than Snoreacle and even Dell has a better channel presence. And if Larry really does go to war with the other server vendors then he would push them even further into the arms of M$, RedHat and IBM Software, which would damage the profit engine of Oracle software sales. At this point, Larry really needs the other server vendors far more than he needs the ex-Sun hardware bizz.

".....Not much cash in it for them to make when all they got was a measly licence sale for Solaris on someone else's tin....." Selling a software license is money for old rope, especially when you don't have to provide the tin, provide the money to develop the tin, or fund the hardware support for it. Software-only is what Oracle does best, it's what Larry originally planned for Sun (remember, he wanted hp to buy the Sun hardware bizz). Any other option involves considerable expense in hardware development and marketting in a highly-competitive market where hp is the undisputed King.

".....I really like the one about the "hardware business firesale to HP"...." Oh ye of short memory! I suggest you go back and read some of the earlier Reg pieces on the Sunset, such as http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/19/oracle_shopping_sun_hardware/, which details how Oracle desperately tried to offload the Sun hardware bizz. When are you Sunshiners going to realise that just sitting there saying "I don't want it to be true so it's not true" is not a very effective strategy for dealing with reality?

".....The "Itanium will rule everything" style stuff was amusing as well, any more gems up your sleeve?..." Well, I once heard this amazing prophecy from some Sunshiners that this chip called "UltraSPARC V" was going to be the best datacenter server CPU ever! That farce was followed by an even funnier sequel with some vapourware project called "Rock".... By the way, just to remind you, Tukzilla is alive and selling, whereas Snoreacle don't have a high-end CPU other than Fudgeitso's SPARC64, and with no future products for that either. You sure you want to cast aspersions on Itanium when you have nothing to put up against it?

/SP&L.

5. Dazed and Confused

Solaris sales

I'm sure some time ago the Reg carried an article saying that HP sold more Solaris systems than anyone else, including Sun. There is more Solaris on x86 servers, and HP sells more x86 servers...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Main sales channel?

Are these companies the main sales channels for this hardware? If so, isn't it possible that Oracle pushed and they decided to to "pass"?

Or maybe the whole model changed.

I'm hoping that Larry will end up killing java ;)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Kill JAVA?

Can't kill java. It is so hardware-inefficient that it stimulates CPU and RAM sales.

1. FL1X
        Heart

can i just say

That made me chuckle so thanks :)

He has a point though!

2. alwarming
      Paris Hilton

kill joyva ?

No such thing. Oracle is probably head butting on how to kill .Net and spread Java. they already have 100+ strategies to monetize Java - which Sun couldn't do (the techies in Sun didn't want to?).

This deal is something else though : Oracle doesn't understand the hardware business(& Sun didn't understand hw or sw business). This is about making someone else run hardware business for them. It had to be dell+hp : the guys who can peddle servers.

As proposed in the artile that it's about the stack: I don't think so. If it was the stack would be a compulsory part of the deal. I think all these announcements are just burps and farts from Oracle digesting Sun. Hopefully this is the last one before Oracle craps out the Sun's hardware parts(ugh).

Paris, coz she doesn't swallow everything she eats.

7. Pony Tail
    Terminator

Sun hardware is dead, dead deader than dean

Larry is not a patient person and hardware is in the tank.

This is another indication that Oracle is getting out of the hardware business except for Exadata which they will soon OEM the x86 systems from Dell just like Teradata and netezza does from IBM.

Software, Hardware Complete....but we never said we would be making the hardware.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like