back to article Russian city blocks YouTube

The Russian city of Komsomolsk-on-Amur has ordered ISP Rosnet to "restrict access" to YouTube and four other websites containing "extremist" material, Pravda reports. Prosecutors in the far eastern Khabarovsk region city trawled cyberspace and unearthed several examples of restricted material, including excerpts from Hitler's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Let's see this appearing on the BBC News!

I wonder if they will mention this on the BBC News. Or does it not fit their news agenda because it's not Moslems going on a rampage against a website.

Thank you for reporting this. Most in the UK think that only Moslem countries block Youtube and the like.

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

And China.

Obviously.

2. Chris Hatfield
    Alert

Wrong strategy

This is not the best way of going about it; it's just so trivial to circumvent. I suspect technically inept people in power don't realise it's a doddle to use a proxy.

Or.. they'll just start using RuTube.com instead, which allows hosting of clips from the Colbert Report etc.

There is (or was) a very scary skinhead group called 'format18'. They filmed some unpleasant things and posted them as trophies. Having said that, I never saw their stuff hosted on Youtube.

<Aside> I see Russia have now put Scientology on the list of extremist materials: http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/scientology-writings-banned-as-extremist/404475.html

http://rt.com/Top_News/2010-07-23/scientologists-prosecuted-russia-hatemongering.html

3. Aleksandr Orlov
    Badgers

If I were Rosnet...

I'd turn off access to all domains that were not hosted within the geographical area of the ban.

IF the region sees fit to prevent access to sites outside the jurisdiction of the region, due to thier legal right to host data then any site outside the region as the potential to host infringing material, and should be blocked on the same grounds.

Simples.

wot still no meerkat icon?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The human race really are freaks

Freeeeeks!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

@ Obviously!

You really are a miserable little hater aren't you.

It seems that you can't go a day without insulting some nationality or other and now you've turned on the full misanthropy bit and completely lost the plot.

Why not save yourself all these xenophobic thoughts and put yourself out of our misery?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More government censorship

Honestly, sometimes I think the only answer to all these power-crazed control-freaks who want to run our lives is, as Jack London so wisely put it, "in the roar of shell and shrapnel and in the whine of machine guns..." When we start shooting politicians, one after the other, only then will these fucking bastards start listening.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Pravda, of course, was the very model of unbiased reporting

so the Russians are at least accustomed to this sort of thing. More Faily Mail ill-informed ranting, please!

6. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Have I missed something?

If a book is on a banned list and I import it then *I* am the one who has done wrong, not the publisher.

If a video is on a banned list and I download it then once again, *I* am the one who has done wrong...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like