back to article Ask.com embraces its inner Jeeves

Ask.com has gone back to the future, unveiling a public beta version of a major redesign that returns the site to its days as a butler that answered your questions. But this being the age of "social media," the IAC-owned company has added a new twist to its old question-and-answer setup. In addition to using automated …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lunatik
    FAIL

Well I never...

"Company pulls allegedly popular cartoony figurehead to self-proclaimed brouhaha only to reinstate it a year or two later, claiming 'our customers demanded it/him/her came back!'"

PR puff by numbers.

2. M Gale

But does he still prefer the term "Jovial"?

See title.

3. TexVik

Toolbar-ware

Only reason Ask has any market share at all is because of all the toolbars they keep bundling with other software downloads, and people not paying attention when they install and get their search provider and home page changed to Ask.com.

4. John Tserkezis
    Thumb Down

Toolbar anyone?

ask.com? Creators of the ask.com toolbar?

Google (snigger) it. Not one redeeming feature, everyone hates it, and many go on to say that ask.com is useless anyway.

The toolbar is bundled with a variety of software (any way to make a buck regardless of how much we piss of our users), and in many of those cases is NOT opt-out. It is forceibly installed regardless of what the user clicks.

I learned to hate it a while back after finding MANY google returns to queries, coming from ask.com that were entirely, completely useless.

If they think they can improve this with their newfangled Jeeves, then good luck to them. I on the other hand have given up a long time ago.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

Question: How is babby formed?

It sent me to Encyclopedia Dramatica for the answer. I guess that makes sense...

6. Gotno iShit Wantno iShit

Light dawns

I guess this is why I now get a completely blank screen from ask on Firefox with NoScript?

Shame. It was my 1st choice search engine because of Ask Eraser. Ask nearly lost that status when they made all their sponsored ads clickboxes. That is really annoying because you click what looks like blank space to put focus back onto firefox and wham you've clicked through.

Now they've made it totally useless without giving them script permission it's time to say buh bye. I'm going to have to move on to something else. Not google obviously, think untrustworthy raised to the power of unscrupulous.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

Butler?

<pedant>

surely that should be a Valet rather than a butler!

</pedant>

8. Zolkó Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Actually, I *do* use ask.com

Actually, I *do* use ask.com as my default search engine. I'm no fan of BigBrother-hood, so I tend to avoid Googliasaur & Co. And when sometimes I compare, ask.com is as good as Google.

9. Ole Juul

I use duckduckgo.com

Sorry, I can't think of anything to say about Ask.

1. Gotno iShit Wantno iShit
      Thumb Up

@Ole Juul

"I use duckduckgo.com"

Cheers for the tip. Good privacy policy and crapsite filters

10. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

that's not Jeeves

That my former manager.

Id know that glistening bald dome anywhere.

11. Jerome 0
    FAIL

Welcome to the Uncanny Valley

Cripes, the new mascot is pretty damn scary.

12. tom 24

...or was that Usenet Oracle?

So it's basically the Internet Oracle, but instead of one person giving you an inane answer, you have dozens of them?

Meh. I liked Jeeves. Ask.com is just annoying.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like