back to article What's the difference between an iPod and an iPood?

The iPood, a small spade used by Aussie campers to bury their shit, has a new name following an intervention by Apple lawyers. In a letter to the iPood makers, Apple's legal eagles said: "iPood is clearly similar to Apple's iPod, there being merely a single letter difference." That could have been worded better, don't you …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. M7S
    Coat

Bipod

Now let's see the response the lawyers get from any sharpshooters they write to.

Mine's the ghillie suit.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Paris Hilton

How much difference is enough?

iPoop? 2 letters

iPlop? etc.

We should be told the "rules"!

2. Bear Features

so...

Do you have to hold it in a certain way in order to make it work properly? Just wondering.

3. JaitcH
    Jobs Horns

The Kettle calling the Pot black

Those Apple lawyers are dumb.

The only connection between the two is one product id shite, whilst the other helps dispose of it.

This should really boost iPood sales!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple down own the letter i

Are apple gonna argue that anything with i in front is their property?

W*nkers!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

lol

The difference between a trowel and an iPod? 1 letter says Apple's lawyers.

Well goody that'll save me £200.

6. John I'm only dancing
    Joke

To answer the question, a few hundred millions in development costs

Why could the Aussies have called it the iShat?

Just think about all the turdspurt © their PR company could spew forth to generate sales

1. Captain DaFt
      Go

They missed a trick there

If it'd been me, I'd have asked them if they preferred that I call it the iPood or the S-jobs?

(Think about it.... ) Go icon because, well, when you gotta go, you gotta go!

7. Dex
    Coat

I smell bullsh....

....Mine's the one with the poop-a-scoop in.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Well

I loooled when I read this

9. TRT Silver badge
    Flame

Hollow handle

I can see the use of storing toilet paper and hand sanitizer in the handle, but a lighter? Is that in case it's a false alarm and you need to leave no trace of methane?

1. Cornholio
      Jobs Horns

@TRT Hollow handle

The lighter is to burn the TP. There's a lot to consider when taking a dump in the wilderness.

I've always been a great fan of the name and think it's a real shame that they're submitting to Apple's will.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is rediculous

in fact it's worse...it's recockulous...

iPood is a fantastic name that makes me giggle. Good on the Aussies and shame on Apple for yet again spoiling a great idea...

We should all start thinking of better names than the pocket trowl...Dung Dumper is better but it's not a patch of iPood....*giggles*

11. James 5
    Happy

No - I think it's actually...

.. the other way round. The iPood works - simple clean design (at least if you wash it after digging holes in the peat in remoter parts of Scotland). You don't need to hold it in an unusual way or get bits of insulating material to get it too work.

So, I rather think that the iPood manufacturers would want to distance themselves from the manufacturers of second rate badly designed equipment such as Apple.

1. mky
      Pint

youPood

Think you are confusing the iphone with the ipod. Somehow i'm not surprised.

12. Avalanche
    Black Helicopters

Blanket trademark?

I always thought that you register a trademark in a specific market (eg consumer electronics), which means that it can happily coexist with products with the same name in a different market (eg fecal waste management ;).

Based on that interpretation, I'd say that apple has no legal basis for demanding this name change, so most likely they shoveled a lot of money to this company to get them to change their name voluntary.

1. Raumkraut

Easy come, easy go

More likely they threatened them with an expensive (albeit frivolous) legal case.

2. the spectacularly refined chap

I thoguht exactly the same...

...and in this instance the name isn't even identical. Problems can only arise if passing off is alleged or the similarlity in the two names can be shown to cause confusion.

Maybe then, that is the point and this is an admission by Apple: their products are already associated with shit, and as such the iPood could create confusion by being another shit-related device?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It'll never catch on...

It's not expensive enough and it doesn't come in white.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

It'll never catch on Post Script

iFirst? (if so, it's never happened before)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Jobs Halo

pps

Some users have reported a problem with the iFirst. This is purely the fault of the reader, not the producer of the iFirst. However, in the unlikely event that you are one of the few multiply-challenged and inferior people with problems with the iFirst, you can apply for a cheap piece of plastic to attach to the outside, ribbed for your pleasure. Normal RRP £39.99

Coming soon:

iSight

iGlasses

iSpy

iCycle

iCeberg

Should we takeover iWantOneOfThose?

15. John Mangan

"That could have been worded better, don't you think?"

You know, I'm not entirely sure it could.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Another camping-related naming ... incident

I was involved in the startup of the Danish IP company Tpack - which specializes in the convergence of *T*elco and *PACK*et-based networks, hence the name. Initially the tpack.com domain name was owned by (if I remember correctly) a courier service in Texas, so we made do with the tpack.net domain (I see now that the .com domain has been acquired by my old company, though). So far so good - but after the first round of funding, and after the company had started to tour the trade shows etc. and the name was hence getting recognized by our target customers, our board and management was horrified when they found *this* on the interwebs - http://www.ortlieb.co.uk/product_info.php?pName=tpack-toilet-roll-holder.

17. Raumkraut
    Jobs Horns

Baseless legal threats

There is absolutely no way this could be trademark infringement, unless Apple's "iPod" mark also covers the "shit shovelling" industry,

Oh, wait...

18. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Halo

iShit?

On the other hand, that is probably already trademarked by Apple

19. Matt 13
    Thumb Down

vacuum

do apple own the letter 'I'??

if I wanted to to sell t-shirts with 'i like to club seals to death, wipe my arse with the warm pelt, then grind up the cute little carcasses and wear their heads as a hat' written across them, would apple sue me? the statement is plenty more offensive and just as tenuous a link to apple products...

ipood - has a direct and obvious link to the tool and its use

ipod - well, whatever that is, is anyones guess....

big, bully boy apple...

20. The BigYin

Backpacks

Equipment maker "Krug" is now called "Kriega" after fizzy-pop maker "Krug" had a moan. I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I do know that fizzy-pop and backpacks are not the same thing.

Perhaps "iPood" should have been renamed "iJobbied"?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

or...

"The Jobs Disposer"

2. Hollerith 1

Caterpillar

Who knew that one day 'Caterpillar' would not mean big digging machines & co., but trendy boots and clothing for young people who wouldn't be able to lift a poo trowel, let alone a shovel. Same with Krug. Companies can drift from their niche to others.

1. Tim Bates

Re: Cat

Just because a company may one day move into another industry doesn't mean they get automatic rights to names across all industries. Just because Mitsubishi owns a trademark on the name "Triton" doesn't mean other companies can't use the name for non-vehicle use... Magellan make a GPS called Triton for example.

21. James Hughes 1

First registered in Oz in 2006..

So, really, Apple are infringing on THEIR trademark......after all, the iPod is only one letter less than the original product.

Methinks some money changed hands in the Oz direction here.....

1. caffeine addict
      FAIL

this is a title

Not really, seeing as how the iPod turned up in 2001...

22. strangefish

if they wanted

to take advantage of the publicity I would think any name with "jobs" in the title would have been a good first alternate

23. Doug Glass
    Go

Looks Like ...

... a external antenna for an iPhone to me. May not work very well but then neither does the original.

24. fLaMePrOoF
    Joke

Perhaps...

Apple should have bought into iPood instead of demanding the name change, it might have helped them get their shit together!

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I do believe that

Some posters are getting Apple's IPod confused with another of their products. the iPoon.

I don't think there is any need to loose fingers before operating an ipod.

26. Tatsky
    FAIL

Fair play to apple....

I mean, you would never catch Apple using a name which is already associated with another well established brand or company operating in another industry would you?

Oh. Hang on!

27. mky
    FAIL

@Stephen Roberts

You are a little late there mate, iSight is already an Apple product, or correctly is a discontinued product. Nice try though. I see you have a reserved seat on the fail bus. Have a nice trip.

28. LaeMing
    Happy

T-shirts abound

A google images search on 'ipood' is worth it.

29. LaeMing
    Flame

Contempt

I do get sick of big companies using the threat of an expensive frivolous lawsuit to bully the little guys. Surely the blatant use of the civil courts in this way (even just waving about the threat of frivolous action) should be considered contempt of the country's court systems and open to criminal prosecution of the bullies and their lawyers by the state under the appropriate criminal laws dealing with such.

30. Aussie Brusader
    Thumb Up

Title

It's available in the same colours, all that's missing is the white cable to hang it by...

Will have to go get one before the current labelled stock sells out... :-)

31. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

i-mperfect

i-diot.

No icon since Apple lawyers have claimed i-con.

32. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

This is utter crap.

iPood a trowel, so free to call it what you want. You could call is a BigMac and there is bugger all McDF's called do about it.

AND

iPAQ...yes that invention by Compaq.

A tablet style pc made long, long before the iPAD, one letter difference.

Trouble they company got scared instead of checking with their lawyers.

I would of sent a lett like so.

Dear Apple Trolls, sorry laywers.

With depest respect, **** off.

Yours sincerly, iPood makers.

1. steogede

Shame that Apple actually own the iPod trademark

When there are so many other trademarks Apple use but don't own - such as [iI]OS and iPhone (both owned and licensed from Cisco)

33. proto-robbie
    Terminator

uPood

iSood

34. Brent Longborough
    Go

Gotta have that Name

Obviously Apple wants the "Ipood" name for their new antenna technology...

35. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Difference.

the iPood - used to bury your crap.

the iPod - crap

Although Apple does it best to bury any bad news about the iPod, it does not use the iPood to do that, it just uses the clueless media to do that for them.

36. Doug Glass
    Go

Why not rename it ...

...iPooh'd? That makes it sort of an "action" comment ( "Oh no, I poohed", said the embarassed puppy). Since "pooh" is a legitimate word (I think) The Sacred J can't complain. Looks like vanity car tag too.

37. Stuart Halliday
    Gates Halo

Let's go into dreamland

Wouldn't it be so ironic if the Beatles changed their minds and decided to sue Apple for using their Music label name?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like