back to article ACTA leaks - but secret squirrel stays secret

Just who is the bad apple at the ACTA negotiations, excluding the public and forcing discussions between the parties to be held in secret? Not us, says the EU, which has come in for some stick of late – not least from Pirate Party MEP Christian Engstroem - for its refusal to allow MEPs to disseminate anything from the talks …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. nichomach
    Thumb Down

Neither confirm nor deny...

"However, an official at the US embassy this morning would "neither confirm nor deny" any such thing."

So, them then - if it wasn't they'd deny it.

2. Paul 5
    Stop

Just say no

Nobody is "bound to continue to respect the confidential nature of negotiations until all parties agree to the greater transparency that the European Commission is seeking".

If the negotiations on the future shape of the laws that govern us cannot be carried on in an open manner, consistent with democratic principles, then the EU - indeed all democratic parties - should walk away from the table, and refuse to implement anything based on what the remaining lobbyists and undemocrats produce.

If it's really that important, it's important to do it democratically and openly, so that all voices can be represented - not just corporate lobbyists.

3. Code Monkey

Which party?

I think we can all make an educated guess at that...

4. fishman

Nope

Bush started the Patriot Act. Now Obama supports it. Bush started ACTA. Obama continues it.

No change here!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One Bad Apple?

Must be the US - everything they do is influenced by Bad Apples

1. Gannon (J.) Dick
      Pirate

If I were an apple I'd sue.

Maybe the EU is not bending over right, or maybe we're not holding it right ...

6. DavCrav

Withdraw!

The EU is complaining that they are unable to be transparent, because of one nation. Either withdraw from the negotiations if you don't like them, or eject that one party and the rest can continue.

Not that big of a deal.

7. Rogerborg

"I can neither confirm nor deny that...

...until I've spoken to my 'campaign contributors' at the MPAA and RIAA."

Do we really need to ask who's suppressing the info? REALLY?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Obviously the US

After all, they don't deny it.

Also, if the EU is all for openness, why don't they simply veto all proposals whilst under a shroud of secrecy?

Good job there's more than one person privy to the secrets, kinda guarantees they'll be public knowledge fairly soon after.

Penguin? I could really do with a choccy biccy right now...

9. Escape Velocity

Yes, we suck

Who has the most to hide? The representative from Disney, er, the U.S. of course. The film and music beggars in the U.S. are so far up the dems (and repub for that matter, same freaking thing) asses our Vice President is running around trying to convince everyone that "counterfeiting" and "copyright infringement" are the same thing.

I hate corporate aligned police states.

P.S. please do not export the Digital Economy bs. Thanks

10. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Kill...

Bloody Australians/Canadians/Europeans/Japanese/Koreans/Mexicans/Moroccans/New Zealanders/Singaporeans/Swiss/US* - how dare they!! We should declare war on them immediately in case they release their weapons of mass stupidity! Where are Blair & Bush when you need their humanitarian insight in these troubled times!

(* select/delete as applicable)

Meh, whatever...

11. heyrick Silver badge

For f***'s sake, grow some balls!

"Europe is just one of the parties to the negotiation. The right to publicly release documents and information needs the consent of all parties."

EU girl - it is really simple. As the results of any ACTA agreement will likely affect us all, with out lawmakers and such getting on board a global agreement that WE the people did NOT agree with or disagree to, the progress of ACTA is very obviously in the public interest (and, in typical EU fashion, should be put to referendum).

Thus, it makes sense for the EU to say this whole secrecy aspect needs to be dropped, and we're NOT taking part in any more discussion until this is so.

Actions speak a hell of a lot louder than "it wasn't us", and to wimp out with that means you kinda don't mind the whole secrecy thing, or you'd sprout a pair and stand up for what is in the interests of your 21 member states and 501 million citizens (which is considerably more than the US's 309 million). Our per capitas are lower, but combined EuroZone GDP is higher.

So, EU, who's pushing who around? Take a step back and say ACTA can be debated in a proper democratic fashion, or not at all.

12. irish donkey
    Pint

Wonder how long it will be before...

the Daily Fails runs a story about America imposing its law over us. It would certainly make a change from them banging on about Europe beating up British Sausages and the man in the street.

opps sorry back in the real world they are too busy trying to close the BBC so they can start charging for access to their own news websites.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wonder how long it will be before...

The Daily Mail's web site is very profitable. It has no need or desire to charge for access.

13. Steve Roper

Not necessarily the US

Given the Australian government's love of keeping things secret from voters and the fact that it considers public debate of contentious issues "unnecessary", I'd be more inclined to blame them for the secrecy blanket than the US. After all, if it WAS the US, they would have denied it outright.

1. Youngone Silver badge
      Pirate

Nah, Its us

It'll be New Zealand. Probably at the request of the Yanks tho' 'cause we'll pretty much do anything for the promise of a free trade deal.

14. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

I wonder who it is 8-)

Perhaps what the EU spokesman should say is "Well, I won't tell you who is demanding secrecy, but I can tell you it's not Australia, Canada, the European Union, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Morocco, New Zealand, Singapore, or Switzerland. " 8-)

15. gratou
    Grenade

merkins again

It is the bloody yanks, but the UE likes it that way, so why would they withdraw?

Corporations don't mind which side of the pond they originate from and cooperate to coerce more rights from governments and screw us deeper.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like