back to article Google shutters Nexus One webstore

Google has shuttered the Nexus One web store, ending its days as a direct phone seller. Last week, the company said it would close the store after unloading one last Nexus One shipment from the manufacturer, and now it's closed. "Sorry, folks," the site says. "The Nexus One is no longer available for purchase directly from …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James Woods

google might crumble yet

I think this is a positive sign. Google has done alot in a very limited amount of time but practically everything it's done has been with people blowing money on advertising.

I recall stats that claim googles profit is 90% from ads and people are getting tired of an ad-filled internet experience.

If you look back to dial-up we had free dial-up isps that regardless of being free still failed. They failed because people don't want the ads.

My challenge is that you could do a free broadband ISP today ad-driven and it also would fail.

I think this is the start of many blunders @ google. Kick that google lobbyist out of the whitehouse, get their private jet(s) off our military bases and seal the coffin.

1. Andrew Woodvine

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

I never take anyone that uses the at symbol in their sentences seriously.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

No more unlocked Android phones?

I bought the Nexus One because it was the only unlocked high end Android phone that I could find. Now it's gone.

Needless to say, unlocked phones of any flavour, are not available from our local wireless providers. What is new, though, is that unlocked iPhones 3GS and 4 are now available from local Apple retail stores and the web. While I prefer the flexibility of the Android OS, I expect that my Nexus One replacement will be an unlocked iPhone.

1. .stu

Plenty of unlocked android phones still

Just buy it sim-free. No big deal.

2. gav_taylor
      WTF?

"unlocked phones of any flavour, are not available"???

Every Android phone released has come with the option of it being unlocked (sim-free) Just don't buy it from your network provider as part of your contract.

The only difference with the N1 was that it came with Vanilla Android rather than running the manufacturers custom UI on top.

3. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Boffin

They sell unlocked phones on the Internet

And if it doesn't work you go to the service centre for that manufacturer.

4. Campbeltonian

More unlocked Android phones.

Play.com have a decent selection of SIM-free Android phones:

http://www.play.com/Search.html?searchstring=android+sim+free

They're expensive, but pair them with a PAYG SIM or a cheap SIM-only contract and you're laughing.

3. Mike Bell
    Grenade

@No more unlocked Android phones

Phone locking should be outlawed everywhere, like it is in a few sensible places in the world. The extra competition would give carriers a much needed kick up the a**e for one thing.

Here in the UK, there is at least one high street chain that sells unlocked phones as a matter of policy, thank goodness.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

You can

Unlocked Android phones are not a problem. You can get an unlocked HTC Desire from plenty of online stores.

5. David Hall
    Happy

Oh well, back to the hacked ROMs

@AC - I also bought the Googlephone as it was unlocked, and I didn't fancy being tied to any particular network. I guess when it breaks or becomes obsolete I'll just end up getting the next HTC Android phone and loading a custom ROM onto it, like I used to with my previous WinMo phones.

As long as Google et al don't stop us doing that, I don't see any big problem with the Nexus One's "failure". It is a nice handset and everyone I know with one likes it, plus there's the benefit of (at least for the next few versions) getting the latest and greatest Android version direct from Google first.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

sigh

And you can call it a folly if you like too Cade. It doesn't really matter. Except to you, apparently, as you've written about a dozen articles beating the same drum. Mono much?

1. Stephen 10

and extra sigh

I'm just glad I got in as soon as they announced the web store closure... mine's on its way. Google met their announced goals handily, spurred on Android acceptance and seem to be enjoying what looks to be enormous growth with Android.

I'd like to fail in that manner...

7. JaitcH
    Pint

The Nexus 1 was a success in ....

demonstrating the Android system was a strong OS candidate.

It broke the handset mould as it's subsequent adoption by numerous manufacturers for use in a wide range of applications has proved. Google didn't need a Nexus 2 as HTC had run with the ball implementing features than options that would not be on the market today, without it.

Even Apple devotees have benefited as Jobs has had to extract his digit and expedite his feature/option schedule.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like