back to article Europe outlines snoop laws

The European Commission has outlined what information is swapped across borders and how and why it is stored. Cecilia Malmstrom, Commissioner for Home Affairs, said people should know what information is stored about them and why. The overview aims to provide an understanding from which a wider review can come. It outlines …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andy Barker
    WTF?

179 or 180 years?

For those confused as to how 2010-1831 = 180, take a look at the link at the bottom of the article. Kinda explains it, sort of, ish.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cloud computing preparations?

One might get the impression that EU cares about ones security on the internet, but I suspect this measure is for simply preparing for cloud computing and some kind of ultimate surveillance program/system, where it would be necessary to have the legal framework worked out in order to function properly.

3. Chris Miller

Happy Birthday dear Belgium

What are the odds on making it to 185?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Information who wants Information?

In the village there is information a plenty, but no one ever really talks.

5. Britt Johnston
    Go

How big a fine?

The link points out that EU cannot force implementation or policing. The commission can impose a single or periodic fine, apparently unlimited, as long as the breach exists.

What public opinion might influence is the size of the fine. I'd be for 1,000,000,000 Euros on day 1 and each completed month, based on valuing transgressions compared to Microsoft and information value following copyright fines.

6. Rogerborg

"You and whose army?"

Would be a delightfully refreshing response from Number 10.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

So what?!

The UK "Gubermunt" only listened to European directives when it suited them before, so I assume they will carry on ignoring these too!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Go on Europe, get them told.

When I purchase products or services, I don't authorise any company to hold or use that data for their own purposes (expect for the obvious like mortgages etc...).

Any one holding information about me should have fewer rights over the data than the person whom which the data is the subject of.

Come down hard. The UK will soon change its position when hit with a huge fine, especially in the current financial climate. Mind you, the blues are anti Europe anyway, not that you could tell..........

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like