back to article Lenovo eyes iPad-alternative opportunity

The status of Lenovo's rather cute'n'skinny Skylight netbook may be uncertain, but the Chinese computer maker has at least committed itself to release an iPad alternative by the end of the year. Apparently, Lenovo has confirmed the debut of "LePad" - Lenovo's answer to the iPad in much the same way its LePhone targets the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Meanwhile...

..Apple will probably be on Gen 2 of the ipad by the time these are released, and if it's released with a 16x9 screen and proper HD resolution & playback (one can dream), these guys will have some real work to do.

So don't hold back HP/Leno/Asus...really go for it and give us a "proper" do-it-all tablet!

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
      Jobs Horns

Well, I don't know so much....

Whatever Apple do, they will still have an expensive device that relies on iTunes to sync.

For me, all an alternative manufacturer needs to do is to release something of a reasonable specification, under about £350 that understands industry-standard memory expansion (so, SDHC and USB, basically), and they'll have my money.

It's going to be an interesting 12 months.

GJC

2. Trevor_Pott Gold badge
    FAIL

U1

I would really like an Android-based U1. Not "released" in November and then actually available in March. I want one on the shelves in September. Enough with this "oh, yeah, we're making an android/webos/windows/whatever tablet/slate/pad/thingamawhatsit."

Announcements are worth nothing until I can saunter down to a brick and mortar and buy one. The exponential increase in vapourwear in IT has made me loose all faith I might ever had in virtually every IT company.

So I ask this of every single Android tablet “manufacturer:” Will your devices be shipping with Duke Nukem Forever?

I may have little love for Apple…but at least their stuff exists.

3. Giles Jones Gold badge

Price alternatives

Problem with many of the cheaper alternatives is they skimp on quality in terms of screen resolution and the like.

The iPad's 1024x768 isn't amazing when you look at the iPhone 4 display resolution. Yet some chiPads are 800x600, pretty poor for this decade.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like