back to article HP 'delays' Android tablet after death of Windows slate

HP's Android tablet will not ship before the end of the year as originally planned, according to a report citing "sources in position to know." All Things Digital says it's unclear why the project has been delayed. But this spring, HP purchased Palm and its webOS smartphone operating system, and the company made it clear that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. zanto
    FAIL

why so negative?

at least HP seem to have the intent of making good on their acquisition of palm. maybe oracle can learn a thing or 2 from them.

1. Anonymous John

Why miss the bus?

There are already a few Android tablets on the market. With more expected.

2. Shane Kent

Every time I see...

anything like this article, the id in me says "me want libretto".

iPad - "me want libretto"

Slate - "me want libretto"

Tablet - "me want libretto"

3. Anomalous Cowturd
    Coat

OS/2? Yes please!

Go on. I dare you. I promise I'll buy one if you do!

Well, maybe...

The one with OS/2 Presentation Manager for Dummies in the pocket.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Boffin

RE: OS/2? Yes please!

Hmmmm, maybe Cade should have kept that one for April Fool's Day next year! But, on a more serious note, what's stopping hp making an x86-based slate product that can run WebOS, Linux, Symbian or Win7? Personally, I think hp may keep WebOS for future large smartphones, but if they want a bridging product to fit between traditional smarter-phones and true tablet PCs then WebOS would be a good fit. By extension, you could even run Apple's Mac OS on it..... Remember, hp is the industry's biggest OS wh*re, and will jump in bed with just about anyone for a profit (even Sun!).

1. Anton Ivanov
        Thumb Down

Two problems in your list of reqs

Problem No 1: x86 - no way to make a nice thin long life slate yet.

Problem No 2: Win7 - hardware reqs double the price compared to the other lot in the list.

So if you follow these two reqs (x86 and Win7) you have no choice but to produce a product that cannot compete versus the like of the iPad.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Now I know....

"But there's still time to murder its webOS tablet as well and make the move to Symbian. And then Ubuntu. Or maybe OS/2. ®"

...why I love to read you guys.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

None of those

It'll run HP-UX.

7. snafu

But then, WebOS is theirs now

Windows wasn't so. And Android is rather me-too (they can PlanB into it anytime if everything else fails, though)

I really want this to work. And, actually, WebOS For Printers is a rather quite nifty idea.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like