back to article AMD sales up – but ink still red

If you have been wondering where those extra profits that Intel raked in during its best quarter ever came from in Q2, it looks like some of that black ink came right out of the hide of Advanced Micro Devices. The CPU and GPU seller posted decent sales of $1.65bn, up 39.6 per cent, in the quarter ended in June. That's more …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oracle hurt AMD

Sun was selling a lot of Opteron servers, and Oracle dumped it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Oracle buys AMD in future. There is a pattern. Oracle dumped Solaris as main platform before they bought Sun. Kind of devalued them. First screw the partner, then buy it. That's Oracle strategy.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Re: Oracle hurt AMD

Are you sure?

My understanding was that Sun was shipping less than 7,500 AMD servers a year and dropping.

Assuming they were all 8P servers and AMD were making US$500 per processor, this is still less than the loss they posted (i.e. US430 million by calculation).

2. Christian Berger

It would be so simple

1. Release open source graphics drivers: This will finally allow AMD into the professional market.

2. Sue VIA for having made horribly bad chip sets which don't work and start some kind of certification programme.

3. Build your own motherboards with on-board graphics.

3. ElReg!comments!Pierre
    Dead Vulture

But what if...

But what would happen if the fine Intel had to pay for keeping AMD out of the market was given to AMD? What, AMD would have made a 1.41 bn profit instead of a 43 m loss , and that's not even considering long-term effects?

So, Intel was right then. Bribe your competitors out of business, whatever fines you might have to pay are well worth it in the long run!

Booh AMD booh!

I wonder how much it would cost (in fines and legal expenses) to have the entire board and developpment team of the competition physically eliminated. Probably worth a try, what are a couple billion dollars in penalties compared to running the opposition into the ground for 20 years? Plus they would be dissed by El Reg for not making trillions instantly after you had to pay said penalties to whichever judiciary would have you convinced. If any.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

AMD, the retarded brother

@Pierre The only way to give them a shot means hobbling their better competitors. Vote with your own money, please.

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Vote with my money?

Well I used to vote for AMD with my money (for the last 10 years or so), never disappointed, always got more grunt for my bucks with them than with Intel. But I'm stepping away from the x86 architecture these days, so although I still don't waste my money on Intel crap I cannot really endorse AMD anymore... they DO try and provide other types of chips, but they are just not very good at it. Yet?

Plus I hold sort of a grudge against ATI, so it doesn't help that AMD bought them... and didn't fix the mess...

5. Jesse Dorland
    Linux

Be gone AMD

AMD was at its peak in 90s. This 2010, they are garbage now. I don't like intel either, but face why pay for something that's not worth much in near future?

You buy a laptop, and in three years when you see a better notebook, and you wanna sell the old one. No one gonna AMD. It's all about investment.

6. karl 15
    FAIL

Give us your money

AMD should use the $83m to sort out the GFX card hardware problems,

before buyers take out a class action and take it from them.

AMD GSOD http://tinyurl.com/36dyqc5

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Jesse Dorland

"You buy a laptop, and in three years when you see a better notebook, and you wanna sell the old one."

For a 3 years old laptop these day? If the case is not made of solid gold, no matter the CPU you'll be lucky to get 10 bucks and a bubble gum. Stop being a tosser, will you?

The only way you could get 10 bucks plus TWO bubble gums is if the CPU was server-grade (and then again, no matter the brand, joker), true ECC RAM, and a server-rated main hard drive.. And the odds of finding these in a consumer laptop are, erm, how to say that? RATHER small? A bit like the odds of finding an unknown wallet full of $200 banknote on your bedside table one morning. There ARE a few laptops around which still have a market value after 3 years, but they tend to cost the price of a car when new, and are worth a second-hand bicycle after 3 years, so if you can afford them you probably don't care about reselling them when you want a new one. Unless you're stupid enough to believe the greengrocers at PCWorld, in which case you probably also buy the 5 years warranty extension because your POS will be worth MUCH more in 3 years if there is still 2 years on the original warranty. Yeah, believe that, bend over and cough, please.

Plus anyone buying a laptop as an over-3-years INVESTMENT desserves to be tortured in the most gruesome manner. A laptop is NOT an investment. Actually a laptop is the exact OPPOSITE of an investment. If you want to "invest" in computer power get yourself a nice workstation in tower form, with plenty of room for expansion, nuke-proof RAM, a server-grade SSD as the system drive and whichever hard drive(s) you want for your data and custom applications (the thing is, DON'T store ANYTHING or even TOUCH the system SSD once the system is set up: the HDD with your data can be replaced for cheap, a good SSD cannot.) and the lot. THAT is an investment on the future. For, 15 years, let's say.

Anything lesser is a disposable device. I should know, I own and have owned a number of disposable devices, and I'm typing this from a non-disposable machine, 10-years-old, 2 GB shielded ECC RAM, 7200 rpm hdd for the system drive, Ultra Wide SCSI connection ( SSD and SATA were not available at the time) and 7200 rpm drives, Ultra Wide SCSI connection for the data (while I was at it...), 2x1GHz machine (that's two separate 1 GHz chips, in case you wondered. Unimpressive NOW, but the machine is 10 years old).

Only backdraw is, the power supply is large enough to sink an average-sized rowing boat. Good in the winter, not so good right now. Also, a pain in the arse when it has to be moved. I might get rid of it next time I move. I'll probably give it to a school that will use it for the next ten years, or something.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like