back to article Google tests multiple accounts in single browser

Google is testing a tool that lets you use multiple user accounts in the same browser, according to a bloggy report. The unofficial Google Operating System blog provides a screenshot of the tool, which — at this point — only works with Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Reader, Google Docs, Google Sites, and Google Code. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

YES ! Bring it on ...

With more companies getting into Social Networking (currently one of my pet projects) you can end up being signed into your *personal* facebook/twitter/myspace account, and trying to sign into the company one can be a problem ...

Be nice if you could have "profiles" inside browser sessions to keep them separate.

1. Steve Beesley

Firefox has multiple profiles

Has done for a long long time...

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/profiles

2. MinionZero
    Big Brother

No Google login for me

I don't mind using Google searching as they earn their money from adverts.

But I find it very objectionable to login to anything Google offer, as that allows them to spy on way too much of my life. Plus they are extending their ability to spy all the time, so its not just what they spy on now, but also what all this accumulating spy data will become associated with in years to come.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Multiple browser? Use a native app instead

Multiple broweser may not solve your issue, unless you use different browsers (i.e. IE and Firefox) each with their different cache. That's what I always hated of the web credential caching - if you have more than one account they can't store it the way the whole thing is designed - while native apps had a way to store multiple accounts for ages (and ways to easily move data amomg accounts). It should be time to get rid of the "browser" and have a different model for remote HTTP/HTML/Javascript applications, but noone dares to say browser are not the best application hosts, instead they keep on trying to cram more features into application designed to show documents....

4. Eddy Ito
    Troll

Meh

Google's glitter wore off with the whole single user install of Chrome BS. Why not tell me on the download page that I need a "Pack" to perform a system-wide install install of letting me install as administrator and then finding out that only the administrator account had access? Damn right I'm still bitter, it's an hour and half drive to my Aunt's so I told her to stick with FF as slow is better than broken... fixed.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why hasn't Opera done this?

Instead of having me on Opera and my GF on Firefox to get the diff accounts I can't see why they don't just create different sessions in the same browser and colour the tabs differently to show which one is which if you open a new tab.

The next step would be to then have a remote session so all the tabs from my home PC load up on my work one - and tunnel through from my home link without having to use remote desktop.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like