back to article Kingston SSDNow V+ 512GB solid-state drive

Reg Hardware has covered plenty of solid-state disks before, but never anything to match the capacity of Kingston’s latest high density SSD. Back in January, Kingston announced the SSDNow V+ series, the higher spec members of its family of “value” drives with capacities ranging from 64GB to 512GB. Kingston SSDNow V+ 512GB …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

All they have to do now

... is make it £1000 cheaper.

2. Steve Foster

Time for a Tips article

Now that SSDs are becoming more readily available, and a wee bit less mouthwateringly expensive (the Kingston 512GB drive notwithstanding), how about an article (or series) on how best to optimise your PC or notebook to make the most out of an SSD, and what *not* to do with 'em too.

3. Bassey

I think not

Shaving a few seconds off my start-up times for more than I would normally spend on a car. It really just doesn't seem worth it - especially as I usually put the PC in sleep mode so it only takes me about 2s to start up. So, £1200+ to boot in 14s or whatever it costs to run the PC in sleep mode (draws less than 1W) and boot in 2s. I know what I'll be doing!

1. James Hughes 1

Not only boot time

Did you not read the rest of the article?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Are these real GB (gigabytes) or GiB (gibibytes)?

Not that it really matters. I can't afford one anyway.

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Am I not paying attention, or..

did you fail to mention the single most important bit on info about any SSD- which controller it's using?

1. DPWDC
      FAIL

You were correct 1st time

Toshiba, it says in the article...

6. Rob Brady
    Flame

WikiPedia Links in Articles?

While I get the purpose doesn't it fly in the face of El Reg's stance on the "Quality" of Wikipedia?

Citing it as a source reference points to a change of heart, lazy rporting or (horror!) falling standards in El Reg's reporting. In all three cases, say ain't so Joe!

On topic to the review, over there in the USA once again it's £/$ pricing. Forshame...

7. Piloti
    WTF?

Did you just say............

".....think 40, 64 and 128GB - .........they are useful merely as boot drives which allow the user to enhance their computing experience with faster start-up times and reduced application load times......"

128GB 'to reduce application load times...' ? Are you mental ?

I have two machines. A linux running netbook with a 60gb HD [the original Wind] and an HP from work with a 75GB HD.

Both do what they are supposed to very well [once the drag factor of Vista is factored in of course] but how much do I want to store on my home/ C drive ? An external HD provides back up for 'essential' stuff and Linux backs up to USB anyway.

A 128 SSD in a laptop is fine. Really.

1. JP19

A 128 SSD in a laptop is fine. Really.

It isn't if you want to cart a load of media around with you and you only have one drive slot or are concerned about battery life.

About the only application I can see for this horrendously expensive drive.

My desktop has Terrabytes of storage and 160GB of FLASH is more than enough to get all the performance benefit FLASH offers. For me 80GB would be enough, 40GB a bit marginal.

1. Gordon 10
        Happy

160Gb enough for my lappy

Although I must confess it is 160Gb of 2x80gb Raid 0 SSD's :) The rarer 1.8" variety.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Are you having a giraffe??

Even the most piss poor laptops sport a bigger drive than 128gb.

My laptop would be useless with owt less than 250. Which is why i have a 400.

8. foxyshadis
    Alert

Much more expensive than the US

Odd, here in the states I just bought one of the 128GB numbers for my business for only $300. Sounds like someone's back to the old practice of lopping off the dollar and grafting a pound. With such cheap shipping, you should order from Amazon US.

9. JDX Gold badge

128Gb...

I had a desktop PC used for my full-time job as a software developer with a 200Gb drive until the PC died a few months back. The disk never got even nearly full. For some people 128Gb is not enough, but for most it probably is.

Anyway a question: I hibernate my PC rather than sleep. Would I see even more amazing speed-ups using an SSD since it has to save/load a few Gb of RAM to disk?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like