back to article Wales joins supercomputer club

A £40m supercomputer project has been announced by the Welsh Assembly Government, to help Wales join the supercomputer club and increase knowledge-intensive skills in the country. The HPC Wales project was first announced as a £44m project by the UK Department of Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS) in December last year. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ken 16 Silver badge
    Coffee/keyboard

programmed entirely in the ll language

introduced as a welsh replacement for c

You owe me a new keyboard > "never ask for directions in Wales, Baldrick"

1. JonnyBravo

Programmed entirely in Java, more like...

...if you want any of the students at aforementioned Welsh universities to be able to work it, that is!

2. AGirlFromVenus

not networked?

I thought that there was already a (tax payer funded) network to connect Universities in the UK together, JANET. Does this mean a whole 2nd network or something virtual built on top maybe?

Cheers,

B

3. Moz
    Troll

Initial step...

"Firstly there is the high performance computing (HPC) hardware, software, infrastructure and a distribution network."

No no. First is "bring electricity to Wales".

Where's the sheep icon?

4. Jay Jaffa
    Linux

Th return of Dragon Data perhaps?

As I read it, they're effectively screwing this up before it beings by splitting the processing capability in two because neither Swansea nor Cardiff could agree on a location - This is fairly typical of Welsh initiatives.

Next steps we'll see the usual application comments focused on the processing power required for Weather forecasting and genome mapping and the creation of hundreds of jobs in hi-tech spin-offs. More crapola from over-paid clowns in civil servant suits.

There's some hope for this if they build on the reputation of Alan Cox in Swansea Uni and build a linux-based HPC - it might raise profiles if nothing else.

5. OSC

This one will be interesting to watch

Since we all know that HPC == Linux (even the BBC knows that, great graphic here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10187248) this will be one to watch.

As for why it's needed, dunno, read this http://www.arcade-eu.org/academicsupercomputing/unitedkingdom.html

@ Agirlfromvenus: great nick

JANET will support distributed computing, I think HPC will require dedicated circuits to ensure good I/O speeds

6. Wommit
    Pint

So they switsh it / them on and...

WTF do we do with it they cry (in Welsh of course)

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Good to see

they're preparing properly for double-depth cuts next year!

8. druck Silver badge
    Stop

Public sector accounts for 60% of Welsh economy and rising

400 more public sector jobs to sit around a pair of small Windows servers, periodically pressing the reset button.

9. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

400 jobs?!

The Irish national HPC centre, ICHEC, is distributed over several different locations, runs three supercomputers, and only employs 22 people. I'd like to see the fantastical assumptions that led them to claim this will create 400 jobs!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

Simple maths

The useless WAG (welsh assembly government) need to keep all those about to loose their jobs in way overstaffed (and overpayed) government jobs voting for them - there are elections next year.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

A lot of racists on here today

As a Welshman I have no problem with you criticising the project and the money spent, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

What I do have an issue with is the blatant racist comments and obvious contempt for us Welsh.

You people need to grow up and leave your bigotry driven primary school "jokes" where they belong.

Troll, That would be some of you.

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: A lot of racists on here today

Please calm down, AC. As I'm sure many others are about to point out in less modulated tones, it may be childish and offensive but I'm not sure it qualifies as racism.

And now let's all debate as to the definition of race! Well, you can, I'm going home to pretend none of you exist.

Er, really though, keep it civil.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Sarah Bee, I am calm

And you are wrong.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Unhappy

Re: Sarah - "not racist"

I agree that the comments are primarily just offensive and childish and predictable and .....

I don't take them as racist, but what else do we call it? It sure as hell does exclude a section of the population from joining in, on the basis of their place of origin, so it is a bit more than the usual juvenile offensiveness you find everywhere on forums. Let the twats carry on, but how about a chorus of boos from the readership?

2. Tony Humphreys
      Thumb Up

Will somebody PLEASE think of the sheep

As another Welshman, please.

You can knock me, and say what you like, I am strong, but please think of the sheep. There are more of them than us.

11. TkH11

@AC, racism

We've always made jokes about the Irish and the Welsh. It's not racism. It's about jokes, it's humour. Racism is about not liking a race of people for the very fact of their race.

The jokes are nothing more than jokes, there isn't any hatred involved.

The biggest central theme in jokes about the Welsh is sheep. Is it possible to be racist to a sheep? The reason, as we all know, that we make these jokes about the Welsh and sheep is because of the sexual imagery which those jokes conjure up.. that's what it's about, and it definitely isn't racism.

So let's stop playing the race card and victim card too.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

@TkH11 Victim card???

To say I play that card you assume I have some feelings of inferiority.

How patronising and pompous of you, time for a retink.

PS No AC any longer

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@TkH11

I agree mostly. I usually find sheep jokes amusing and don't mind the piss-taking - as long as it is in jest. Some of the comments, unfortunately, are not like that. I was going to leave it at that but I thought I'd look back and find a comment that was offensive rather than funny : damn-me it was your original one that kicked off the complaint! If you think that was humorous I wouldn't go into stand-up any time soon if I were you.

12. Jamie Jones Silver badge

as he says. ^^^

I also don't mind the old sheep shagging jokes etc. but the tone of the anti-Welsh comments is disgusting

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Jamie Jones, I don't mind the sheep jokes when that are jokes

But when they are used in the manner they have been to support criticism of the Welsh and not this project then they stop being jokes and become ethnic slurs and insults.

I’m not surprised that some people fail to see the difference.

13. Noodle

Fair's fair

Most nations and races have some aspect of their culture that from the outside can seem humorous and can become the subject of much jesting and mockery by their neighbours. Wales has it's sheep and England, well, they have their football team.

14. dreamingspire
    Unhappy

Lampeter

What about Lampeter? Don't they need an outstation to help count the sheep?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like