back to article One experience fits all

In user experience management little things can make a big difference to what they think of their desktop. I provision several types of desktop. The first, and most numerous, are shiny new Wyse thin clients. For experience management, they're neat, because they unify the user experience. I have just finished imaging and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chris Miller
    Thumb Up

Completely agree, but you forgot the best bit ...

... the Wyse laptop. Staff that move from multiple offices may no longer need laptops, because (of course) all the Wyse 'desktops' are equivalent. But for people who need to be able to work from home, airports or anywhere with a public Internet connection, the Wyse laptop provides all the functionality you described. And when (*not* if) the laptop is lost, stolen or strayed, there's no local data to worry about and no need for complex and expensive encryption schemes

1. nichomach
      Unhappy

Yeah but no...

The problem with that is that it is *the* Wyse laptop and there is no other; you can have a 15.4" screened slab with a crappy 1280x800 resolution with embedded Windows or the same with embedded Linux. Oh...or a smaller Atom-based netbooky thing. It's one reason I avoid them - my guys work with quite large complex spreadsheets, architectural drawings, big gantt charts etc. If I took those nice decent resolution screens that I've kitted them out with away and gave them one of Wyse's underspecced overpriced slabs I'd have to be identified from dental records.

2. Chris Miller

Horses for courses

Quite so, I wouldn't recommend a Wyse/Citrix solution for users of CAD/CAM, Project or graphic designers. But for the 90% (?99%) who really just need Office and Internet access, the corporate benefits greatly outweigh the limitations, even of the rather clunky (compared with an iPad*, anyway) Wyse portable solutions.

* Citrix client now available for iPad, if your clients' tastes run that way.

2. Colin Millar
    Thumb Down

Users probably don't love it

More likely they've just given up caring.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

@Colin Millar

I'd have to disagree, sir. I've taken the time to talk to the users one on one. I assure you they are (with a couple of vocally grouchy exceptions that any company or family always has to deal with,) quite happy with the new setup.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Corporate Wallpaper can be a menace

Usually fine if users have full screen windows so don't see the wallpaper much or use Windows like apps with black text on white.

If you have lots of smaller text based windows with "bright" text on black then some wall papers can be distracting.

@AC

So far, the corporate wallpaper has recieved zero complaints and much praise. That said, I am just about to walk into our Vancouver location and see what they think of it. I will report back.

2. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

@AC

Seems to be a hit here too...

4. Adam White

Outlook 2010

Makes everyone feel like they're using OWA.

5. bradpeczka
    Thumb Up

What Clients?

Hi Trevor, just wondering what model of Wyse clients that you're running?

@bradpeczka

C90LEW, though with potentially an R90LEW or two for the special folk.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like