back to article Intel boffins usher era of 'I know who you are' TV

Now this is scary: a TV remote control that knows who you are and can present what your prefer - or limit what you can watch - accordingly. It might also tell the telly to tailor ads to whoever's handling the remote. The gadget is the brainchild of a band of boffins at Intel Labs. While the group hasn't actually made one of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Presumably this works best with incessant channel-hoppers

my remote spends most of its life sitting on the sofa doing precisely nothing. More useful would be my TV working out that I'm sitting in front of it and suggesting programmes I might like to watch, and not presenting me with any shopping channels or ITV

2. Flugal
    FAIL

But

How will the the system know whether it should be broadcasting according to my taste, or that of my butler?

After all, a gentleman of my standing is hardly likely to sully their own digits and strain their own sinews by holding a remote control themselves, is one?

Fail - until they incorporate a butler/man-servant/my man mode

3. Doug Glass
    Go

Any Married Male ...

... already knows about this. The builtin control is called wifey and in some case kiddies.

4. Lionel Baden

heh heh

so if the sofa is gently rocking you get more adult movies ???

:D

5. Gordon Barret
    FAIL

What

Wow! Another totally useless and unneeded invention.

Whilst this may be clever (and it is, don't get me wrong!) it would be totally unrealistic for them to expect that tv users would actually WANT it.

TV's have enough controls already to limit access to (un)desirable channels, with pin numbers or whatever.

And who is to say that an adult would not want to watch a children's channel? Who is to say that an adult would not ask their child to change to channel 123 because they are currently slicing vegetables and dont want to mess up their remote control or miss their special program?

If they really wanted to progress with this then what would be so wrong with using existing technology - fingerprint scanners are now so compact they are used on some USB memory sticks - why dont they use one of those, and tailor/save any settings made to the user whose fingerprint is currently on the device?

6. Britt Johnston
    Thumb Down

multichannel lockout

I'm not a zapper, I just have a digital twitch.

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Firstly

They track your viewing - then they use it supply you adverts...

Fail, because i am sick to death of bloody adverts.

8. LuMan
    Thumb Down

Did I just see a fish on a pushbike?

So, the device will be so clever it will figure out who is watching and adapt content (or, to be more accurate, advertising) to match. Unlike the current raft of TV stations that figure out what demographic is watching a TV programme and sell advertising space to the most suitable companies to fill the slots....

..oh, hang on.

<sigh>

9. Matt 13

sounds good to me...

the remote will sense that whenever the adverts come on, i switch over... thus will learn that I am not bothered about them and tailor my viewing to cut out all advertising........

or am i being a little optimistic!!

10. Pablo
    Thumb Down

Wow, that's totally useless

The only potentially desirable use I could imagine for a remote that knows who you are is parental controls, but 70% accuracy isn't nearly good enough for that.

11. The Original Steve

70%

70%?

That's about the fail rate I had when trying to play my old man's copy of Leisure Suite Larry (One of the first few) that had 3 questions about current affairs that all grown up would know about at the time...

Still played it though!

1. John H Woods Silver badge

.. wow ... i remember that ...

... it was before you could google the answers!

12. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    FAIL

Explain that to the Missus!

So you watch a bongo-flicks while the Missus is down the shops. You forget to switch this gadget off, MIssus comes in, "Hello love, fancy a romantic evening watching a movie on the telly?". You pick up the remote and instead of watching some romantic cack and on a "promise", you get get Lusty Linda on screen and a spend the night kipping in your car!

Sorry but the once in a blue moon when I do bother watching TV, I spend 30 mins flicking and swearing at the ads, finally end up watching some documentary about the life of the shipping container ( That's actually true! Check it out on the BBC! ). Sorry but TV stopped being any use after Monkey Dust. (R.I.P. Harry Thompson )

13. AndrewG
    FAIL

Answer to a question no-one was asking

Considering how most of the worlds TV seems to be going digital/Cable - and all the various set top boxes that will happily record your tv show for screening when you want to...who the hell actually watches TV live anymore?

In the past 6 months I've watched about 2 hours of television as it was broadcast, all the rest was recorded and viewed later. So unless the algorthim can communicate backwards through time, its pointless.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You might not want your 'favorites' recorded

Just like you clear your browser history when the wife visits her mother for the weekend, you don't want it to remember you watched a few of those 10 minute freeviews.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

In Soviet Russia...

...TV controls remote.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like