back to article Motorola Flipout

You can’t deny Motorola’s creativity – a square phone, huh? And if you find an iPhone just too big, the new Flipout is certainly compact - it's 66mm square - and will fit into the tightest pocket. This means the screen isn’t huge, but at 2.8in it’s certainly usable. Motorola Flipout Motorola's Flipout: Touch the Google …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mr Brush
    Unhappy

320 x 240?

Great for Mode X DOS ports, but QVGA won't find much on the marketplace.

1. Malcolm 1

Increasingly popular?

There's been a few very small form factor android handsets appearing recently (X10 mini/mini pro, HTC Wildfire) - so maybe some of the more enterprising developers will add support for lower resolutions.

2. hyartep
    Alert

what an original idea

as for motorola's originality - be sure to check nokia twist

1. Quxy

No kidding

Boy, I hope that it's more durable than the Twist...

3. Alastair 7

Kin-beater

That is, if the Kin hadn't already been canned.

Small, cheap, socially-oriented... I'm almost sad that the Kin was scrapped because it would be interesting to see where these types of handsets go when in competition with each other.

I wonder if I've made it in before the obligatory "I don't use Facebook and anyone that does is a moron and this makes me better than the vast majority of the population" comments?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Generally a good phone

But i am not going to swap my iPhone for it, but might be good for kids / students.

5. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Capacitative?

This might work if you're determined... wash all the colour out of an old felt tip pen, both the felt and the tip, and also cut or drill a hole in the side of the pen and in the plastic skin of the felt. Keep the felt wet and touch it through the hole with your finger, and the pen tip MAY work as a stylus because it's still sort of connected to you.

We sent back that desktop screen in the end anyway, but I think we all learned something from the experience. And now, so have you.

1. Fr. Ted Crilly Silver badge

ummm

why not buy one of those stick things, my dad has an htc desire cant make it work with his fingers after much digging about he found a wand that appears to have what looks like anti static foam tip works a treat.

dunno if this is the one but, http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php?xProd=2628 or generic from ebay perhaps?

2. Goat Jam
      Thumb Up

Too much hassle

What you need is a "Sausage Stylus"

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/12/korean_sausage_stylus/

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Cute phone

While I am a bit spoilt by the HTC Desire's screen, 2.8" isn't too small to use, especially since the device has a hardware keyboard. I think I like it: it's novel, small, peppy and probably easy to use. With the google stuff that's included, quite handy in a lot of usual smartphone stuff too.

Though it would probably be much better if it had a 480x360 screen like a lot of other Android phones, for a better selection of apps.

7. Eddie Johnson
    FAIL

I'd Like to See Motorola Succeed But...

It sounds like they're still making the same mistakes as the RAZR. It was all looks and no processor power so it got annoying really quickly. And if it feels underpowered at pre-launch think about how bad it will be in 6-12 months.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

Is it an iPhone killer?

Just happened to notice it got the same rating as the iPhone 4.

Anybody else care to discuss?

It's close to shift end here, so I have 2 icon choices

troll or coatcheck?

Troll it is...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Dear Microsoft...

...are you taking notes?

10. halfey

on the navpad

it would be better if the navpad is actually a mini touchpad, or at least an optical navpad so that it won't require any clicking for navigation

11. David Lawrence
    Coat

I was thinking of buying one....

....until I saw that vacuous bint on the screen shot. Oh look she's sooooo looking forward to something or other. Where's my bucket? Is that really the way to sell phones? "Buy this great bit of tech and sqander all your money and time exchanging pathetic drivel with the morons you call your friends who make you feel slightly better that your pathetic drivellings might actually be of any interest and that your life is more than just a complete waste of the earth's precious resources"????

Sorry but I use mine to make and receive calls, and to send and receive meaningful texts.

Mobile phone companies seem to be homing in on the yoof's endless desire to share the minutiae of their pathetic lives with like-minded morons who have nothing better to do than read it and make their own comments on it.

Mine's the one with 'miserable old git' written on the back.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like