back to article IT insider admits stealing info for 2,000 bank employees

A former IT worker for the Bank of New York has admitted to stealing personal information of 2,000 employees and using it to steal more than $1m from charity bank accounts, city prosecutors said. Adeniyi Adeyemi, 27, used his position as a contract computer technician at the bank's headquarters to steal the personal …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. steogede

Who'd have thought it

A greedy, immoral thief working for a bank? And he didn't get promoted?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Of course not..

.. after all, he *did* still have a competency. Only those devoid of any join the ranks, otherwise the rest of them might feel threatened.

As an aside, I'm now really, really few up with this volume data theft crap. Time to act.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Over an eight-year span

How did no one notice the fraud from Nov 2001 through April 2009. Don't they have such measures in place to detect fraud, after all it *is* a Bank. And that's where the crooks go to steal money.

3. Lou Gosselin

Not a big deal.

"A former IT worker for the Bank of New York has admitted to stealing personal information of 2,000 employees and using it to steal more than $1m from charity bank accounts."

I'm sure the bank has backups with the employees' information.

4. John H Woods Silver badge

Suggestion

Instead of a hard limit at a round number of dollars or pounds, why not use a probabilistic algorithm so that transfers under a specified amount are less likely to be reported but there is no widely known amount that is guaranteed to be under the radar?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

Re: John H Woods Suggestion

You are presuming that the politicians who write the laws are intelligent enough to understand the concept, let alone how to codify it into Law. Remember, most members of Congress are financially illiterate, as the recurring problems with the Congressional Credit Union keep showing.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Ouch baby Ouch!

@ steogede: Nah, he failed at being non-management material. He had the stuff set up wisely but it was track and traceable hence no promotion?

What I wonder is: did he smile and chat with his colleagues while robbing them? That too would appear to be another management trait but tracked and traced so he has gotta go!

6. Volker Hett
    Coat

Most interesting information is missing

How did he get caught? We need to know so we can avoid that mistake in the future. Reading the Reg should teach us something, sometimes.

Mines the one with the get out of jail card in the pocket

7. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

So how did he get caught?

That's the single most important part of this story, and it's missing from the story.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

"Instead of a hard limit at a round number of dollars or pounds"

Indeed. In fact my card company/bank must have something like that, because when my credit card got compromised, *they* told me before I noticed.

However, I'm not going to reveal how they knew, because I'm not sure how public these measures are.

9. Andus McCoatover

Daft SOB.

When he got to $1M, he should've just fuc*ked off.

When I get to 200 upvotes, that's what I intend to do.

(Noooo, Sarah, Noooo!)

10. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Pirate

Sentencing is scheduled for July 21

It will involve being led into the cubicle hall. Then video cameras will be turned off.

On the other hand: 1 million USD for that amount of work? HA HA HA HRM!!

11. Mr Young
    FAIL

It's about trust I would say

I mean, you can't possibly do all that finance work yourself! This perp is an icon. <=see picture

12. heyrick Silver badge
    Happy

Aaargh Apple aaargh!

Oh, sorry... Apple paranoia not relevant to this topic. <giggle>

Money laundering? Is there an app for that?

13. This post has been deleted by its author

14. Kikki D
    FAIL

lol

The Nigerian scammers are getting smarter =P

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=Adeniyi+Adeyemi&aq=f&aqi=g2&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&emsg=NCSR&ei=xYExTMPYFZCQjAebk8WbAw

http://www.informationweek.com/news/global-cio/security/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=221500017

"He allegedly bought about $100,000 in US Postal Service money orders, which he used to pay living expenses and to send money overseas, primarily to Nigeria. "

lol

15. Tatsky
    IT Angle

If only Ebay ran banks....

Then he could have got away with using the same computer, with the same IP address, and using bank accounts setup with the same contact details (his own) and he still wouldn't have been caught.... unless he sold his clocked mini bus. No need for all those dummy accounts etc

I love the idea of him "stealing" the bank details. Like he took the only copy in existence.

This topic is closed for new posts.