back to article Online crims not just 'speccy geeks', researchers warn

Misconceptions about the nature of cybercrime are affecting the fight against online economic skulduggery. Widespread beliefs that e-crooks are likely to be either "geeks with glasses" or digital pranksters are well wide of the mark, according to researchers from Trend Micro, which reckons the majority of cybercrooks would be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Is it only me

That really hates the prefixing of any activity remotely connected to the use of the internet with "cyber"?

Cybergangs of cybercrooks, in cyberspace, waiting to cyberduff you up and to lure you into cybercrime or a cyberaffair with their cybersodding cybersex.

I'm cyberfedup of the cyberuse of cyber. It is cyberbollox. Arrrggghh!!!!!!

2. heyrick Silver badge
    Boffin

Geeks with glasses?

The 'net was a nicer place when it was nothing but a bunch of geeks with glasses...

3. john 212

title!

The Invention of the contact lens was a game changer for the security industry.

*wonders if the stereotype is a result of Law enforcement profiling of cyber crime suspects*

4. Aaron Em

No shit, Sherlock!

It was "speccy geeks and pranksters" in the beginning, sure -- right up until there started to be real money in it. Is there anyone (not counting management of course) who's been in the business more than five consecutive minutes and still hasn't figured that out?

5. Havin_it
    Boffin

Speccy geeks? NO!

I've yet to see an ID-theft trojan crafted in Sinclair BASIC.

10 PRINT BTW what is your mum's maiden name?

20 GOTO 10

RUN

Keep us out of it, we're busy res-hacking Telly Tennis over here, kthxbai

6. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Yep...

I'm sure the people WRITING some of the malware and spyware kits are plenty geeky. But getting some chumparel to give up their financial data is social engineering, geeks don't make particularly good con men as far as I know.

7. Jason Togneri
    Thumb Up

"speccy geeks"

I read the headline and wondered why people would think Spectrum users ("speccy geeks") would be more likely to turn to crime in the first place, but a re-read sorted that. Otherwise, fascinating stuff. Thanks for in interesting insight into modern net warfare and cybercrime.

8. 124Out
    Stop

Not a single verifiable fact

"Trend Micro researchers cite underground sources in speculation that ZeuS programmers earn more than $800,000 per year. The potential earnings of botnet herders may be even higher than this"

They might be earning more than $800k, or only $80k, or $8k or nothing. The only good FUD is more FUD.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like