back to article Pixel Qi releases sunlight-readable netbook screen

Pixel Qi - the 'Qi' is pronounced 'chee' - the company behind a type of e-paper that's not only colour and able to cope with video but is also claimed to be fully readable in bright sunlight, has begun shipping its promised netbook conversion kits. The display panel on offer is a 10.1in job. Pixel Qi doesn't say what the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lionel Baden
    Coat

lol

<Nelson>

HA HA

you lost a rubber grommit

</Nelson>

Sorry i feel bad now

im leaving

2. Matt 13

yes please!

i wonder what the colour is like, both indoors and out??

netbooks are all very well, but maybe they should look at a 13.3" display to augment all the panasonic toughbooks out there... I get 13ish hours with the lid shut, but only 6ish hours with the backlight on full so being able to dispense with that would be awesome!

A lot of toughbooks are used outdoors so the market could be worth a bit more than the home netbook market!

3. archengel46
    Thumb Up

I want!!!

When is it going to come out on mobile phones!!?!?!?!

"Qi" the non-allowed, allowed scrabble word.

4. bhtooefr

Resolution

Looking at my netbook (which is an Aspire One D250 with a 1024x600 display, and I believe the same as the machine in the photo,) that ain't 1024x600. The icons are too small for that - I've got 3x7 icons on my desktop, and it takes up nearly as much space as the 4x8 icons on that desktop.

Although, who knows, that could've just been a prototype at that resolution, and Acer did sell a 1280x720 D250.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

All well and good...

...but I don't think that ruddy great mirro will help the Netbooks portability.

6. The Indomitable Gall

Hmm....

Almost makes me regret going for the 7" eee.

7. Obvious Robert
    FAIL

A&E

He's going to have a nasty accident if he keeps trying to use t'internet while riding a bike.

Show off.

8. Dan 10
    Thumb Up

Summertime

Once screen that can be used in strong ambient light are perfected, watch the strong correlation in outside temperatures and working from home - I know I would rather be sat on the decking in the garden working on that project remotely...

1. Matt_payne666

I already do!

I have been known to work from the comfort of a yacht on a 3g connection... :)

it just requires full back light which hammers the battery...

9. handle

Cost of delivery

You forgot the import duty, VAT and handling charge that's likely to be added...

10. I didn't do IT.
    Boffin

That's an Acer Aspire there, guv!

"Technically, Maker and Pixel Qi are only offering the screen for two netbooks: the Samsung N130 and the Lenovo IdeaPad S10-2. "Although they do work in other models, we can only guarantee compatibility on those two specific netbooks," it admitted."

Then... shouldn't they show the pictures with one of the netbooks they claim is guaranteed to be supported?

Unless, of course, they are trying to increase sales by implying that the picture proves it works in other makes/models?

11. Pablo

Color e-paper with video?

(That doesn't suck?) I'm sure it's coming, but I'll believe it when I see it.

12. LuMan
    Thumb Up

Nice back-reflected sceen

Not sure if there's any handheld gaming collectors out there, but the Neo-Geo Pocket Color (sic) has a screen like this (only smaller, obv!). It's absolutely bloody marvelous and allows me to play such delights as Sonic and Dark Arm in the Bajan midday sun!

Thumbs up from me.

This topic is closed for new posts.