back to article Microsoft's 'New Busy' Hotmail has lie-in

Microsoft has confessed that the rollout of the latest version of Hotmail is taking longer than customers might have expected, especially given the fanfare that accompanied the release. The software giant confirmed yesterday that only one per cent of its 360 million-strong user base has what it describes as “Wave 4” of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does it matter?

Of that "360 million strong user base" how many of those users are active?

I have a hotmail account, I use it for one thing - spam catching, whenever any online (or offline) service asks for my email address that's the one they get. I don't use it for real email, ever. I check it maybe once a week and if ever I start to get mail into it that I think is important, the sender gets given my real email address.

So the snazzy new design is of no interest to me at all. As hotmail was one of the first wide-spread free web mail services, I expect there are a lot of dormant accounts on it - people set them up there and then moved on to something better over time. Other people probably use it in the same way as I do, and yet more people probably have accounts that were set up there for a laugh (e.g. xenagoddessoffire@hotmail.com or iamthewalrus@hotmail.com). The only person I know that uses a hotmail account in earnest actually works for MS

So really - does it matter? How many people will really be affected?

PS - I made up those two addresses but will not be surprised even a tiny little bit if it turns out they exist

1. Lionel Baden
      Thumb Up

i use it

Just not as my primary

I have had the acount since i was 16 and value that people can always get intouch with me

I cant stand it when people change their email address, its bad enough when they change their mobiles all the time

2. lumpenfolk

SkyDrive?

If they are ironing out the clunkiness of SkyDrive (25 GB of free cloud storage for everyone), then I think it is interesting. I'm not sure if it is, but SkyDrive made me check out hotmail / live again

3. Daniel 1

Selling stuff people actually paid for was the old "busy"...

But 1% is the new "real".

Those of you who like to carp about 'talentless slackers in the public sector' really need to visit parts of the Redmond Campus, in order to see how the real professionals squander capital.

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

LOLWUT?

Who are these milling multitudes, crying out for the new extra-crappy hotmail? Inquiring minds want to know..

3. Avatar of They
    WTF?

Fanfare? Was there?

Didn't even know hotmail had been updated.

Can you pop3 for free yet? Will it work with thunderbird on linux? When last I looked it cost to download. So haven't looked since.

If not, not interested,

1. jonathanb Silver badge

Yes you can

Pop3 is available, but not IMAP like some other providers offer. Exchange Activesync is on the way, but GMail already offer it. You can use it on Thunderbird like any other pop3 account.

4. N2

Never mind

No doubt 'support' put them on hold for 30 minutes then said they needed to buy another license.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Sussed

"WARNING: Your computer is under spec. To get the best performance from the new ultra fantastic Hotmail please ensure your computer has a minimum spec of a 2.8Ghz Quad Core processor, 8Gb RAM, and a DirectX 11 compatible graphics card. Your operating system should be running Windows 7 at a minimum. This will bring it in line with Microsofts other products. Thank you".

/Joke obviously.

6. Rob Moir

Why?

Why do people seem to see it as a bad thing when a vendor rolls out an update in a slow controlled manner instead of going for a 'big bang' approach?

7. Kay Burley ate my hamster

Oh is that what they were going on about

I use Gmail, but have a Hotmail account for spam.

Someone asked wtf the newbusy (newspeak init) is all about, I had no idea, I even said "it would make sense to run the campaign if there had been a difference made to hotmail, I just don't get it!" And if I don't get it (10 years in IT) wtf do the users think?!

MS are worse than bad at marketing, advertising a service before it launches is prolly one of their more honest mistakes, using Hotmail does in fact suck time from your day and make you more busy!

8. DryBones
    Pint

Fixed

“When we roll out new software, we typically don't get the budget or time for the proper internal mini-rollout like we wanted because the test budget hasn't got room for it and the marketing folks jumped the gun. So we have to shove that into the deployment schedule and budget."

There, I fixed that for you.

9. Plinkerton

Just to buck the trend

I've had a hotmail account for round about 14 years now. And I use my gmail account for spam. Why people get all bothered by this stuff at all I'll ever know. It's just bloody email.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like