back to article Bono doubles down on Facebook

Elevation Partners, the private equity firm backed by bad-backed U2 frontman Bono, has stumped up $120m for just over 0.5 per cent of Facebook. The deal values the dominant social network at $23bn, and takes Elevation Partners' total stake to 1.5 per cent, having invested $90m at a $9bn valuation last year. Reports earlier …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Facebook is for the weak, mindless, masses.

Individually, people can be clever, but together they are thick as crap.

1. HFoster

Err, what?

Your post makes no sense in context of the discussion.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Grenade

don't generalise

Bono can be thick as crap all on his own

2. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Ahem....

...£120million...

The poor and starving, remember them?

Surely you remember begging ordinary people with a couple of quid to spare a month to donate this "spare" cash to help the poor and needy/

Two faced fucking twat.

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Ahem....

I expect he's given a few quid to charity himself here and there. When's the last time you oh forget it. YEAH BOO BONO WHAT AN OBVIOUS WANKER etc.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Grenade

The difference...

..is that Joe Bloggs in the street doesn't go onto the world stage banging on about how we should all do more for charity whilst making nice little nest eggs.

How about stick 10 million in the bank and dish out the other £110 million, or is that not enough to live on these days?

Here is a challange then.

I will donate 95% of my free monthly money & all my savings for one year if Bono does.

Money meet mouth.

1. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
          Thumb Down

Bollocks!!

It’s a matter of context, Bono complains about the Irish government not giving enough money to the third world and fist chance they get U2 move their copyright holding operation to Holland because they can pay less tax on it.

The only good thing about Bono hurting his back is that it will be a while before he can climb up his own arse again….. Well maybe not.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re Bollocks!!

>fist chance they get U2 move their copyright holding operation

That's a rather simplistic rant. First off U2 is not only Bono, he personally might not have had any say in the matter. Second U2 as a group of people might not own a controllinng interest in the copyright of their own songs.

2. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

ahem?

I don't particularly like Bono, but what do you think he should do with his money? Keep in a savings account so that other twats like you don't have a chance to make comments on how he manages his wealth? Or should he transfer the lot to your account and see if you can manage it better?

1. Ken 16 Silver badge

Pay his taxes

and stop trying to take everyone elses money

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Bono invested?

Prepare for the imminent collapse of Facebook.

4. Flugal

Bono No No No No.

Perhaps Bono's financial judgements are as sound as his is-it-cool-to-wear-sunglasses-indoors judgements.

5. Winkypop Silver badge
    FAIL

Bono + Facebook

Fail-o-Rama

6. Turtle

Here's your required title, you carping martinet, you!

"Bono's fund could use a hit. It sank hundreds of millions into Palm's attempted revival, which ended in a fire sale to HP this year."

Gladdens my heart to know this. Thank you for pointing this out, and bringing some badly needed joy to an otherwise sombre day.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Here we go again

A successful person so let's slag him off, what makes this story even more of appealing for the disgruntled saddoes of the green-eyed monster religion is the added target of facebook.

The blokes worth a fair bit, he's got a 1.5% stake in facebook, it's hardly going to break him and if it does pay off he'll be worth quite a bit more. Why should it fail because he has invested in it. Previous bad investments don't indicate anything, he's not running the company in any way. Investments are a risk, you win some and lose some, all that matters is that the wins out number the losses.

As for AC @ 10:44, you don't know how much Bono gives financially, neither do I. What I can see is that he gives up his time which I'm damn sure in monetary terms costs him more than you or I could give.

8. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    FAIL

Bonio should stick to doing dogs food...

Facebook valued at $23bn? Based on what? Ad revenue?

If that is the case it proves that marketeers really do have more money than sense.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Make Bono History

For just €2.99 a month, you can give hope to the ears and eyes of the poor and misfortunate of the developed world. €2.99 will buy a half-decent CD single by a non-preachy recording artist, alleviating the sensory torture that is U2.

Join us. Together, we can Make Bono History!

10. LuMan
    Stop

Bono cashing in??

Not surprising as the nob sold out when U2 released The Fly.

I remember when they were good, etc... </sigh>

11. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Or

Go to the market and buy some Apple at about 4 times revenues.... or Google at about 6 times revenues.

12. Ian Rogers
    Thumb Down

29x !

IMHO if/when facebook does IPO it will be the next lastminute.com - there's no way the market will stump up 29bil for this nonesense.

... and it will be very very funny :-)

The market may pay 5-10 times multiple though, which will still be a lot.

13. Lottie
    Thumb Up

Intelligent

Credit where it's due I reckon; he should be applauded for investing in the technology sphere. Okay, it's just Facebook, but it IS a fairly major piece of social software and if it DOES pay off, it might show that net applications can be viable and encourage more investment.

Besides, it's not like he's Rupert Murdoch or anything.

What else should he do with his money? At least it's not going up his nose!

14. French Tickler
    Flame

Donations.....

Better that he buys a bit of FB than makes wild donations to 'worth while causes' like the IRA (again).....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Bono & the IRA

I'm not exactly his number one fan but saying he donated to the IRA is a bit strong. He's come out on several occasions and denounced them and was even on an IRA death list at one point.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like