back to article First MeeGo Linux needs love and scrub up

MeeGo is a big deal. Devices plus cloud is the big trend right now and MeeGo has seen two industry giants - Intel and Nokia - combine efforts to create a Linux offering capable of competing with Windows on netbooks, Apple and Google on phones and tablets, and embedded operating systems on just about anything else from TVs to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mike Demler

MeeGo

Nice review of the first release of MeeGo for netbooks. If readers are interested to know more about the differences between MeeGo and Android, I have an article posted here: http://bit.ly/cu6RAw

2. David Gosnell

My experience

I tried this the other day on my original Acer Aspire One. Surprised about the slow booting - was much quicker than that, even from a USB live image, on to a much lower spec netbook. However I found the DNS flaky and there was no support for my bog standard Vodafone 3G stick, rendering it rather useless for its main raison d'etre. I also found some of the user interface elements a bit overbearing, with no obvious means to adjust - this is in common with Moblin, and I'd hoped they might have resolved that by now. Interesting, but not ready for prime time.

3. Stinky
    Unhappy

Meego a no-go for developers

I downloaded the SDK onto my Kubuntu Linux machine. And found out it would not run. The reason being is that you have to have an Intel graphics chipset. All my computers have a ATI or Nvidia graphics chip. So I and and a 100,000 other self respecting Linux developers without Intel graphics can't use the SDK and therefore can't develop apps for Meego.

4. John Gaunt
    Alien

Mi-go?

From the pen of H.P. Lovecraft?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mi-go

5. Volker Hett

There's a lot of GTK based programs

for a QT based system, isn't it?

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Anonymous Coward
    Go

yes

Yougo alright.

See ya.

8. Chemist
    Stop

Re : If

Nothing wrong with RDP on Linux. Works better than Windows for us ( faster and rock stable)

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Linux does not...

...support RDP except as a client. It uses some version of VNC and it is simply terrible. You advocate something and yet you clearly have no knowledge of it.

9. Russ Tarbox

Interesting article

I installed this not long ago on my Acer Aspire One (which I've now sold) and my experience was far better. The boot time was well under 20 seconds and resume from standby was instant (save for the inevitable wait for the wireless to re-establish a connection). I'm also pretty sure the tap-to-click option was configurable, although I like this feature so would have left it on anyway.

I had previously tried Moblin and MeeGo was much more polished; also Moblin's mouse sensitivity was terrible, MeeGo has sorted that completely.

10. Matt K

MeeePCGo?

Looks like a slightly swisher version of the "Easy Mode" interface you got on the original EeePCs. At least that you could disable.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If...

...this can bring SIPE support and a decent RDP implementation to Linux, then we might see some traction on Linux. Without RDP and SIPE (and Silverlight) support, Linux just won't get adopted where it matters.

[Edited for atrocious spelling and a grammatical error]

12. Christian Berger

Most important question

does it have apt-get?

13. Michael Fremlins
    FAIL

Another Linux distro

What the world really needed. Not.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Horrible

I tried it on my netbook, and it was beyond lame. The interface was clearly trying for "device" rather than "computer", but was failing hard due to being slow and cluttered. The clients it forced on you were very incpmplete (other than Chrome, probably the best of the bunch- but I still miss a proper adblock and noscript).

What's worse, the damn thing only seemed to be able to maintain a wifi connection for about five minutes at a time- in the same room as the damn router.

Horrible experience, nuked it, back to Umbongo, which was faster and more reliable.

15. Happy Camper
    FAIL

Nurtured a community.

Nokia haven't nurtured a community of followers for Meego because the way they handle that community. I.E. badly. It won't get that community without big changes to the 'finger' it gives us. Afterall the Maemo community are the QT developers that Meego will be based on.

I would give Meego a year from release before it becomes anywhere near stable. And perhaps a year longer for an app store to work. Or at least one you want to visit. Nokia rely 100% on developers to do their work, they as the owning body have done nothing to back it.

Jobs and the other players won't be too worried with this.

16. Shadowfirebird

Of course one N-series handheld already uses Linux

...The N900.

I gather that we will eventually get a backport to Meego, but not an official one. Might have that wrong; I certainly hope so.

Although to be honest, the N900 is fine as it is.

17. John 62

don't like tap to click?

must be a driver or touchpad problem. I can't live without it on my MacBook. I very rarely use the physical button.

18. Mark Greenwood
    FAIL

The title is required

Complete lack of support for anything but Nokia 3G modems is its biggest failing. And seeing as the current Linux kernel happily supports a huge range of 3G modems, someone (at Nokia..) must have made a decision to actively remove support. Ho-Hum. Back to Ubuntu for me.

19. Shonko Kid
    FAIL

You came in that thing?!?

You're braver than I thought!

Wow, I bet the folks at Cupertino and Mountain View are trembling now.

I really doubt the N8 will be the last Symbian based NSeries, unless they can the whole NSeries line that is!

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not bad... - still early days

The default install image, also allows running from the USB stick - from which the boot times don't seem too bad . and certainly not the 2 minutes quoted in this article- works on my aspire one/msi wind/ and even the old 512Mb eeePC - wifi's supports good - but agreed the 3G modem support is non-existant.

The development mailing lists seem very active , so think things are going to develop in leaps and bounds

21. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Shame about pissing off the geeks who make up the community

Nokia seem to be busy destroying the community they built up around Maemo and which they will need to help them make MeeGo a success for them. See http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=55913 and, most recently, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=57214

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like