back to article Chrome squeaks past Safari in US

Google Chrome and Apple's Safari have swapped spots in their skirmish to determine which browser can capture one-third the US market share of Firefox and one-sixth that of Internet Explorer. "There is a battle royal going on between Google and Apple in the internet browser space (Chrome v Safari) as well as in the mobile …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I would call it quite a failure on Google's part myself

Given the amount of advertising that they have pushed for Chrome versus the none that Apple have done for Safari, it is quite a poor showing for Google that they only have such a small market share, imo.

In any case, Apple/WebKit wins either way, so long as both browsers are growing their combined share.

1. Daniel B.
      Black Helicopters

Safari-jacked

hm... Apple did their own share of 'viral' marketing ... in the manner of installing itself without the user realizing it on the next Apple Update batch. Google at least told you to download it.

So a part of Safari's share might be users that found themselves with a new browser, decided to check it out and kept it. Probably IE6 users.

2. famousringo
    Heart

Close cousins

Since they're two flavours of the same engine, surely the market gains of either browser can only be good news for them both?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Open apple sauce

Well if apple wanted to play the open source game with Safari instead of making their own from scratch (given the amount of work they've done, you have to wonder how much of the original KHTML project is relevant to it today), then this was the risk they always took.

It could have been a few hobbyists who took Webkit and played with it, or it could have been another organised corporation with a chance of making a successful spin-off.

I wonder if they ever guessed a company like Google would ever do this? They probably saw the hundreds of millions Google was putting into the non-profit Mozilla Foundation at the time and never gave it a consideration.

And the irony is, as control-freaking as Apple is... I wouldn't trust any piece of Google software to be installed on a computer of mine for fear of it sneaking up on me in the middle of the night, measuring the length of my shlong, taking a DNA sample, switching my bank account over to gBank and impregnating my wife with what it considers to be the most compatible semen from its database of other Chrome users.

It'll all end like the Tripods yet...

4. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Opera Users

Just to put this in context for Opera users -

Imagine Maserati owners reading about who is now the 3rd best selling minivan ;-)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Great...

..where can I get my free Maserati?

5. P. Lee

Is market share what Google want?

Chrome looks more like a test-bed for Google's project to make MS irrelevant.

MS uses it's browser for windows lock-in. Apple to control the whole user experience, Mozilla (OSS) to scratch users' itches and Google uses Chrome to try out tech which it can use to make MS irrelevant.

There's no direct financial benefit to Google in everyone running chrome, except perhaps the lack of noscript/adblock. I think Google knows that will never happen, but it is interested in having a client it can use to play with its potential cloudy services.

6. mhenriday
    Thumb Down

Strikes me that according to these figures,

both Chrome and Safari are doing quite well in the US market and that the market itself is considerably healthier now than when it was an IE quasi-monopoly or even than when it was an IE-Firefox duopoly. Or has real consumer choice suddenly become a bad thing, and we long for the type of browser market obtaining in, say, China, where IE enjoys nearly 90 % market share and good old IE6 alone nearly 60 % ?...

Henri

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Many miss the point...

those who say it doesn't matter. Look at it another way.

See what the deafult search on many of these are (or will be). most users can't be arsed / don't know how to change this.

Kerrching for the browser maker.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like