back to article International Cricket 2010

I don't like cricket... oh, no... oh, actually, wait a minute, I really don't like cricket. It's not that I don't admire the game. Cricket and I once had a two-year love affair, which peaked with England's win in the 2005 Ashes series. International Cricket 2010 It's funny, they're in creases I still respect it as the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Paul 76

Not quite yet.

"These elements, carried over from Ashes 2009, provide a precise system that replicates the almost infinitesimal variations required to outfox batsmen."

No, they don't. It's a good game, but it still hasn't fixed the basic problem of Computer Cricket which is the player bowling to a computer batsman.

Even if it can provide such a system, and it's not far off, I agree, what is missing is the sequence of events AI between the bowler and batsman. Even with quick bowling it is not simply an issue of trying to bowl the best delivery possible ; it is the sequence that undoes the batsman - knowing when to bowl a googly because the batsman has been "trained" not to expect it, for example. Things like the sixth sense a spin bowler gets that a batsman is going to charge him are also missing. Is it the right time to bowl a slower ball or is he picking it ? All these kind of things without which it just doesn't work.

To be fair, these things are just about impossible to simulate. What cricket games do is work out an appropriate shot for the given delivery and scale the success of that delivery by the batsman's ability and confidence. That's why in some games the batsman can always be got out playing the same delivery to the same shot ; not only does the batsman never learn, but the rest of his team don't either, because they don't think.

What this means in practice in that bowling at a computer batsman is quite a dull experience. Ashes 2009 hasn't solved this and I doubt the 2010 version will either. No-one else has.

2. Adam Williamson 1
    FAIL

Groan

Reg, can you *please* fire whoever wrote those captions? Or at least demote them to under-tea-monkey status? They were truly, truly horrible.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

You can't beat Brian Lara...

Not the biggest fan of cricket, however now and again I'll dust down the original Brian Lara from my games collection. Not fussed about how realistic it is, as long as I can slog one of mates into the crowd is enough entertainment for me.

Nice review, despite the poor caption comments

4. @Grrrrraant

Captions

I love the captions!

The comments, not so keen on.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like