back to article iPhone 4 vivisected in 'first legal teardown'

The intrepid tinkerers at iFixIt now bring us what they refer to as "the first legal teardown of the iPhone 4." And being first wasn't easy. They first went to the other side of the earth to obtain an iPhone 4 before anyone else in the States. As they explained in an email: "[CEO] Kyle [Wiens] flew to Japan, expecting to take …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Thomas Davie
    Stop

Probably not 1Ghz

I've not seen the clock speed officially posted anywhere, and early benchmarks seem to suggest it's about 20% slower than an iPad, so it looks like being 800Mhz, not 1Ghz

1. Si 1

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

I had wondered if they would supply the chip at full speed or if they would underclock it to save on battery life. Still 800MHz is not to be sniffed at for such a small device!

1. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

Apple - poor show again

Poor show... the Nexus One is already making us of 1 Ghz and doesn't suffer on battery life... (I know.. I have one)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

If the software is any good

it will be moving the clock speed around anyway to improve battery life. So whatever the top speed is is often not so important.

2. Jerome 0

Battery

In my experience of the HTC Desire, battery life is acceptable but not great. I've no idea how it compares to an iPhone, last- or current-gen.

Don't these devices do the whole "slow down the processor until it's needed" thing? Wouldn't that take the whole point out of permanently underclocking the chip?

And if it's not that easy to automatically adjust processor speed (although I don't see why it shouldn't be) I'd be quite happy with a home page widget to switch between "battery saving" and "turbo" mode.

3. Anonymous Coward
          FAIL

Re: apple poor show

Stop your fucking willy waving.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Coming first

Is it that big of a deal to come first? My wife always gets mad when I do.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Cheap

Form the looks of it, the costs should not be more than £50 max.

Ill but at one at £99.99 when available.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

FM Transmitter?

The iFixIt teardown reveals a Broadcom FM receiver and transmitter...are Apple going to allow its use???

1. Lance 3

In a few years

They competition is only a couple years ahead; so maybe in a year two Apple will say they invented it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Who knows

But is it the multi use chip - FM + WiFi + Bluetooth? Probably cheaper for them to buy that chip for the WiFi and Bluetooth anyway, and ignore the FM.

I believe the N8 has the same chip, but does allow use of the FM transmitter.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How many bits did they have left...

When they put it back together?

There must have been at least one, it's a fundamental law of tinkering.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

and now......

what is the point of this futility exercise ?

1. Blain Hamon

The point

Is twofold. One, iFixIt is a mac/iPhone/Apple device repair company. Being able to take apart a device is really helpful in being able to repair it. Second, they sell replacement parts and tools. This is good publicity for them, without doing annoying commercials or trolling for links.

7. Samuel Walker
    Joke

Yet another

removable battery...

This is in danger of becoming common in Apple products!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Still not too removable tho

One had to fiddle with a pair of screws on these. On other phones, they're just hidden behind a snap/slide-open cover.

Beer. I'm replying to a joke post because I'm drunk.

1. Martin Huizing
        Pint

You Sir...

Are in the right place at the right time. I will join you in a sec.

2. James Hughes 1

the new Nokia N8

needs two screws removing before you can replace the battery also....

8. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Ooooh!

Fanboi pr0n!

Seriously, is this anything more than a free publicity stunt for the iFixit website, who's primary business is...repairs and sale of spares?!

1. NogginTheNog

Largely no

But for those of us who are fascinated by technology and miniturisation it's interesting to see the level of design and precision engineering that go into even the most commonplace 'consumer' devices.

9. Alvar

But what about the most important question...

Does it blend??

10. andy gibson

DIsassembly

Obviously those of you moaning about the disassembly are too young to have ever seen, bought, or read "The Home Computer Course" magazine from the early to mid 1980's.

Each issue was eagerly awaited to see which 8 bit (now a classic) was opened up.

11. Thomas 18
    Joke

writting on the battery

It says "if you can read this then your warranty is void"

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like