back to article AMD muscles Nvidia with fanless GPU coprocessors

Keeping pace with Nvidia in the GPU wars, Advanced Micro Devices has not only launched its "Lisbon" Opteron 4100 processors but also released the embedded versions of its "Cypress" family of GPUs, a counterpunch to Nvidia's "Fermi" chips used in its Tesla embedded GPUs. The Cypress GPUs already made their way into the ATI …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. something

225 watts and passive cooling?

How can this be?

1. Nexox Enigma

Easy

"""225 watts and passive cooling? How can this be?"""

The heatsink on that monster looks like it's at least twice the size of a 1U passive CPU heatsink, which generally do 100W with ease. Remember that it's a passive heatsink which will be directly in front of a bank of double stacked 10k+ rpm 40mm fans, so it's not passive in the sense of desktop passive cooling. And it won't be quiet.

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

"Anything you can do, we can do. Except ECC"

..and Linux drivers that aren't crashy piles of crap, offering lousy performance, too.

Ugh, from recent experience. A small job lot of Radeons to go to ebay, which were forced on me with some machines...

3. serviceWithASmile
    Thumb Up

i wonder

if this tech will be applicable to gaming level cards in the near future?

my x4850 x2 is currently why the ice caps are melting... I would love a 2 teraflop 58xx that requires no cooling.

mmm graphics *drools*

1. Ross 7

Cooling

I don't think they require no cooling - they just have sufficiently efficient passive cooling to allow the actively cooled atmosphere the server lives in to take the heat away. In other words you'd need to cool your room to near freezing :o) Cost aside, try playing CoD in mittens...

1. Ammaross Danan
        Boffin

Cooling

Server cases have internal fans that direct airflow efficiently. These cards have heatsinks designed to effeciently sit in that airflow channel, so it is like having a large fan strapped on to their heatsinks. Servers are quite densely packed and don't have "pretty" airchannel spoilers such as glowing fans and perforations all over the case.

2. serviceWithASmile

@cooling

aaaahhh it makes sense now.

thanks for the explanation - last time i was in a server room i didn't notice the temp as i was mostly drooling over the hardware :D

either way, i still want one

4. Inachu
    Heart

AMD ATI combo will need a very good pc case.

Your average $20-$45 pc case will not be fitting for this combo.

So far the only thing halfway respectable for this would be an ANTEC-900 case.

I was a victim of the above thinking. I thought I could just get by with wonderful power supply but an el cheapo case and boy my pc rebooted several times due to heat issues even though I had 5 fans in it. threw out the case and bought the antec 900 and never looked back.

1. Morpho Devilpepper
      Badgers

Actually...

$20-$45 is not average for PC cases...unless you're talking about bland workstations or something. Any halfway decent gaming-class case is going to start around $75.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like