back to article Toshiba intros dual-screen, keyboard-less netbook

Toshiba thinks it has trumped the Apple iPad with a compact micro laptop that comes across as the mutant offspring of a netbook and a Nintendo DS. The launch also sees the revival of Toshiba's long ignored palmtop PC brand: Libretto. Toshiba Libretto W100 So, we have the Libretto W100, a clamshell mini machine sporting not …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. TeeCee Gold badge

Deja vu?

Isn't that rather reminscent of the dual screen "Courier" thing that Microsnot were widely touted as thinking of making not so long back?

Maybe it's not a one-off Toshiba oddity but the first of many Win 7 beasties in this format.

Obligatory iPad-bashing comment: Does it run Cry^H^H^HFlash?

2. Mage Silver badge

Maybe advanced rather than 5 year old?

But it's like a MS Courier!

3. Dan Price
    Gates Halo

Courier, is that you?

Reminds me of Microsoft's (sadly) stillborn Courier. If it comes off anything like that would've, it deserves to be a huge success. Sadly, with Win7 standard on it, it seems unlikely. A custom UI based on Windows Embedded CE like the Zune's or Courier's would be a better bet IMHO.

4. Paul_Murphy

looks very useful.

Battery life?

Headphone socket?

Cost?

Networking/wireless?

Nice to see some good ideas coming forward. The size reminds me of the Psion5 - a very useful format for putting into a pocket.

I could see me using this on my commute on train and underground, which an iPad is just way too big for.

ttfn

1. MrT

A bit bigger than Psion S5...

...but I like the idea.

Size is more like a Series7/NetBook...

5. Raumkraut
    Linux

OLPC XO-2

Finally, someone is actually releasing a device like the OLPC XO-2. Unfortunately, it's running Windows. If they'd made this as a variation of their new ARM/Android netbook, I'd be taking a keen interest.

I was really looking forward to seeing the XO-2, which OLPC then scrapped, apparently on a whim from Negroponte.

6. Wize

Lets see you touch type on that.

I'm not really a touch typist, but I do use tactile feedback to know where the keys are. I'd start slipping a bit to the side and eventually hit the wrong key using one of these.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

cute...but....

looks like it could do with going on a diet, and a smaller central divider. Tentatively I shall say it's too expensive for a netbook.

How versatile is the lower screen? do we have the ability to create custom keyboards? does it always display a keyboard or can we have a pop up keyboard (android style) and usefull widgets otherwise? Is the onboard graphics (intel GMA?) snappy enough in use?

8. Havin_it
    Thumb Up

I kinda like it

If the price isn't too ridiculous nor the battery-life too shabby, I reckon I'd go for one of these over a Jobsian fondle-slab any day. The clamshell approach makes it just about [largish] pocket-sized, and the spec is pretty reasonable, though I've never heard of that CPU - I thought the Pentium name was retired by now. Also Toshiba usually manage a quite decent build quality. Weight-wise, I dunno - is 840g heavy for a 7in netbook? Also, what are the connectivity specs?

Just a shame it's Windows, and looks like the lower touchscreen UI will probably be Windows-dependent. Looks tempting to me though; if they can bring it in at less than £400 (fat chance) I'd be interested.

9. Nux Vomica

Price will kill it

Apparently closer to £900. I'd love a dual screen ebook reader, as it would truly mimic the convenince of the real thing, but I haven't come across a reader of any desciprtion yet that can do the job at any price, far less one that will justify it's price in terms of convenience.

Too busy trying to sell the bloody things on wow factor. Sadly the idiots who are interested in style rather then function don't have much use for reading of any description.

And another thing, what happened to illuminated manuscripts.......

10. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Got first attempt

Version 2.0 will have a smaller hinge, be slimmer, run on ARM and use Android or a Windows CE derivative.

I hope.

If so, then I'll be buying one...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like