back to article Getting women's phone numbers a matter of mood music

It's official: if you want to extract a woman's phone number, then picking the right soundtrack for the attempt will significantly increase your chances of scoring. That's according to French psychologists, who found that an "average-looking man" doubled his chances of success when the object of his desire had been softened up …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Unhappy

Oh really?

>women

>female volunteers aged 18 to 20

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Slight flaw

> "men spent more money in florists when romantic music was being played"

Men don't go in florists

1. frank ly

@ Chris W re. Slight Flaw

"Men don't go in florists"

You have misunderstood what happened here.

This was men who had been placed in a florists and then had the door locked on them.

If romantic music was playing, it reduced their ability to pick locks, break down doors or throw heavy objects through the windows. It is thought to affect the decision making processes as well as motor skills.

2. Steve X
      Happy

correction

I think you mean "*single* men don't go in florists". We married men know better...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Alert

RE: Slight flaw

Indeed, Men rarely buy flowers - usually only when in *deep* trouble with SWMBO (like forgetting the wedding anniversary / birthday / valentines day) and then only from the petrol station or supermarket.....

4. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

@Chris W

Oh really?

I know I do.

5. Maverick
      Happy

I think you'll find they do go in florists

. . . least ways when they are in the sh*t over some minor indiscretion they do, and damned quickly if it's a biggie

6. Scott 19

Helpful Tip

Get the flowers sent to her work so she can strut round in front of all her mates and show how wonderful you are, extra brownie points ;)

3. C Yates
    Thumb Up

Poor Antoine

I bet he was knackered! =)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wowhat?

Can't wait for the comments from the IT brigade on this one. Meanwhile, let me help you out here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woman

5. Cunningly Linguistic
    Joke

I suppose...

...that it is a certainly cheaper method than rohypnol.

1. Sean Bergeron
      Paris Hilton

Perhaps

Music can also be reused if nothing lasting comes of an encounter. Still, I wonder how may readers of ElReg have the test songs on their MP3 lists......

I mean, I enjoy listening to "The Transformed Man," while doing tedious IT work. But it sure as hell ain't gonna attract any women, unless, maybe, they're green.

Paris, because she'd never, ever, go out with an ugly commoner like me, nor does she know what "The Transformed Man" is.

6. Yannick
    Troll

Flash news

Men spend more money at PC World when Intel's 5 musical notes micro jingle is being played.

1. Dex
      Megaphone

Real men....

.....Don't shop in PC World ;) although that Intel Jingle is catchy....and now for something completly different: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8748854.stm

megaphone =/= sonic branding...el reg style

7. Raidwen
    Pint

If you're having problems getting a date..

How are you supposed to set the mood through the music though, without being horrifically obvious.

Though it's good someone's researched this. makes sense

8. Richard IV
    Unhappy

Neutral?

"L'heure du The" is hardly neutral when talking about biscuits.

I'm not sure which depresses me more: "insights" gleaned from research like this, or that, as a hard pressed IT worker, I don't get paid to do research involving young female volunteers. Or biscuits.

9. Steen Hive
    Joke

Lucky me.

All the women I ever seemed to meet up to and including the wife, weren't the sort of gum-chewing moron that would be swayed by a shit D->Bm->G romantic ballad.

If I played the missus that generic tat, she'd disembowel me.

10. Thomas 18
    Joke

love it

This is even better than honey bee cocaine experiment. Plus a retro 80s ghetto blaster on your shoulder looks dead sexy, no woman can refuse chris de burg. Some things I want to know about the study are:

1. how many slaps did the researcher get for being an unprofessional sleaze

2. how many researchers were rejected for being too ugly/pretty to conduct the study

1. Boring Bob
      Stop

Stop, stop, stop

"1. how many slaps did the researcher get for being an unprofessional sleaze" Stop, stop, stop please. This is France not the UK. Over here it is not considered unprofessional or sleazy to flatter a woman or to ask her for a date.

While sexual haressment in the workplace is illegal, in France it actually has to be "haressment", "sexual" by itself is fine.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

Getting it out of the way

FEMALES!!!!

There you go Mistress Bee, you can now judiciously choose to ignore all other comments containing that word...

12. S Larti
    Coat

I dated a farmer's daughter

She responded to mooed music too.

13. Player_16
    Megaphone

Naw, I'll use this method... Drives them wild!

http://www.vuvuzela-time.co.uk/www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/21/mood_music/

Yeah baby!!

14. heyrick Silver badge

Perhaps that's why the French are supposed to be better lovers?

No shy compliments about her blouse/scarf/hair/etc, just go straight for the kill...

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Flawed research.

How do you know it was the music and not the biscuits they were influenced by?

1. anarchic-teapot

Probably the biscuits

As in fact Francis Cabrel and 18-20 year olds really do not go together: it's ageing housewife music.

Vincent Delerm's song isn't exactly punk rock, mind you.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I would have gone

...with cake myself. Can't fail with a slice of Black Forest Gateau or Death By Chocolate.

16. Patrick R
    Go

Soul music

Maxwell's Urban Hang Suite on your car's HiFi will get you scoring heavily. Beer works as well, but anyway, there is no secret; concentrating on those who want at the start will makes the decisive difference.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like