back to article Hands on with Sony's NEX DSLR-quality compact camera

Sony UK held a launch party this week for its new NEX-5 and NEX-3 compact digital cameras. The company seems minded to make a dent in sales in the micro four-thirds format as both NEX models accommodate interchangeable lenses and utilise a 14.2Mp APS sensor. Sony NEX Sony's NEX cameras have a detachable flash to keep them …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Bronek Kozicki
    Grenade

lenses, lenses, lenses ...

If you want small camera you will also want small lens, but there seems to be only one such lens.

OK this is APS format camera, so 16mm pancance makes for ~24mm in 35mm world. Nice but perhaps too wide. If you want anything else - sorry, only much larger zooms.

Perhaps Zeiss will release something ...

1. nextended

This is just the start

The lens selection is pretty limited right now and I also question the 16mm focal length as the pancake lens. I'm hoping for a fast 30mm prime as that would be a more useful focal length.

I don't think there's any doubt that more E-mount lenses will appear... Sony wouldn't launch a new lens mount and camera range with only 3 lenses!

2. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Lenses 2.0

Hah, that 18-200 lens makes the camera look ridiculous(ly unergonomic) and makes the small form factor of the camera completely pointless.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Embedded advert...

You'll have noticed the irony of the guy in the background of the video, who is just getting on with talking photographs -- with his Nikon!

4. Giles Jones Gold badge

Crackers

Usually you're supposed to hold the camera, but if the camera is this small you'll have to hold the lens as the camera mount might snap.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What was the performance?

I mean, that 50-200, was it 4 to 5.6, was it 2.18 throughout the range? What? It is easy to make a small lens at poor performance but if that was a 4 to 5.6 and they then manufacture a 2.8 that is eight times the size of the body ... it's no DSLR killer, that's for sure.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hilarious!

Frankly that camera looks stupid and like the other fella said, it seems so pointless to shrink the body into a P&S form factor and then require that kind of lens hanging off it! I'd feel such a goon getting that out at a party. That said, the menu and UI looks pretty good.

7. LarsH

lenses

The point of being able to put big lenses on a small camera is that it can be a small camera when you want it to slip it in your pocket, but if you want to, you can use nice lenses on it as well.

Also, this thing seems to have a nice, fat sensor, which is a big plus. If they would cut it down to 8mp that would help out a lot at higher iso though.

8. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Urgh

The interface on this camera is a perfect example of what Sony does worse. It handles more like a PSP than a camera. The controls are horrid- it is just painful to use.

Such a let down- the more ficey one with a metal body would have been a nice backup body otherwise.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like