back to article Samsung gears up to make half-terabyte flash drives

Samsung is close to volume production of half-terabyte PC/notebook solid state drives (SSD) with impressively fast read and write speeds. The product, which doubles the 256GB capacity of the previous Samsung client SSD and will ship a year after it, should be mass-produced next month. Samsung says it uses "state of the art" …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nigel 11

Cheaper please, not bigger

What I really want is a fast smallish SSD at a low price. 16Gb would do, if it ran as fast as an Intel 64Gb SSD and cost a quarter as much.

Yes, I run LInux, so it'll all fit in 16Gb. But also think of the advantages of keeping your server's filestore metadata and tiny files in a fast SSD, with an ordinary HD for overspill storage of large files' data.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

We will need new technology

IMHO, we will need a "breakthrough" technology to get any cheaper, faster and more "reliable" SSD drives. Maybe organic DNA drives?? HA HA.

I see little mention lately of using SATA Version 3 (6GB/sec) from anyone except Crucial. I see no reason to even get one of these if the system is too slow to even access the data.

I am waiting for Sata Version 3. Not holding my breath.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ssd fail

Same here, looking for small cheap reliable drives, not something to replace my normal storage hard disks.

3. junkbit
    Linux

Toggle me impressed

I agree with Nige, but remember that you need a little free space so that it can do housekeeping without slowing down.

That's why they Vertex2s are being sold as 50gb and 100gb instead of 64gb and 128gb.

50gb V2 for 140quid @ ebuyer would do nicely for Ubuntu and home partition, I'm tempted

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Me too

I want either blindingly fast small SSDs (about 16GB / 32GB) for the OS, or very large affordable SSDs (1TB plus and which don't need to be that fast) for noiseless media storage.

Unfortunately everything that comes out appears to fall between these two stools. They're neither particularly fast (and way too big for just a system drive) but not big enough or cheap enough for mass data storage (audio / video library etc.)

1. Robert Sneddon

There can only be two

Sounds like there's a niche in the market for a large-capacity SSD with a small super-fast partition or segment stuck on the front. It would fit into a laptop or notebook as a single 2.5" or 1.8" form factor device and give the user a high-speed boot/program volume of say 16Gb or 32Gb and a slower backing store of 256Gb or more. Best of both worlds in one bundle, cheaper to produce and integrate than two separate devices.

5. tony trolle
    Megaphone

ME TOO three

whow funny we are all thinking the same bet none of us got asked what we think :-/

if we are lucky maybe CEO's read El Reg

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like