back to article TomTom slashes LIVE subs

TomTom is offering new TomTom LIVE sign-ups free services for a year - and is halving annual subscription costs to £47.50. Existing subscribers for the traffic information service automatically get the new price and will stay on the new rates if they renew, TomTom says. New customers get the year’s free subscription when they …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. handlevandal
    Stop

Swiss outlawed devices that help punters avoid speed cameras

Revenue generation genius.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20070212/075138.shtml

2. tellytart

Speed Camera Databased

In several EU countries now, including Switzerland and Germany it's illegal to use a GPS device that has a speed camera database unless the speed camera part is disabled. If you can't disable it, it's illegal to carry the GPS unit in the car.

3. Robert E A Harvey

good-oh.

Still can't afford it.

Wake me up when it's a tenner a year. Europewide.

4. Steven Burn
    Thumb Down

Oh dear ....

Got the XL Black Edition recently as Dixons (or was it Curry's, I forget), had it for £130 instead of the usual £260 price tag (yipee). Got Billy Connolly's voice for it too.

Sadly however, the "Live" services, which would've been great, are still too expensive, given the price of the devices themselves, and how often you're likely to actually need it, on top of the fact the subscription for the "map updates" is somewhere in the region of an extra £60 or something.

As Robert said, wake me up when it's a tenner .....

5. psyq

Re: Speed Camera Databased

Actually, it is only Switzerland that is >very< anal about the speed camera POI databases, and they threatened TomTom and other GPS device manufacturers that they would stop sales of their devices if they do not remove that feature.

In Germany, it is also illegal to have such aid in a car, but they can't be bothered... You'll see TomTom GPS devices with "Speed Camera Database" advertisements in tech stores like Saturn. Illegal to use, legal to sell that is.

6. greensun

It's called journalism

Is Mr Cullen aware of a website called Google ?

If one types "speed cameras switzerland" into the box they provide, one sees the text "Switzerland bans some GPS devices for speed camera warnings".

This might add something to his article, for not that much effiort.

And possibly prevent him from appearing incompetent at this job.

7. Harry

Instead of telling us where the cameras are ...

... why not have a database of speed limits, and warn when the limit is about to be exceeded?

Satnavs must know the speed limits on roads in order to calculate fastest journeys, so why not use the information to help keep drivers within the limits -- thereby, depriving the camera operators of their income without needing to know where the cameras are.

As for live services, I don't drive enough to merit a subscription but its the cost of tomtom's map updates (and especially that they refuse to let you use even user-contributed updates if you don't buy their own map update too) that means my next satnav will probably not be a tomtom.

8. psyq

Re: Instead of telling us where the cameras are ...

@Harry - Actually, TomTom does support warning you if you exceed the speed limit. It is a standard feature in all TomTom navigation units.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"It is a standard feature in all TomTom "

All *except* mine, maybe. It's a GO 300 with apparently the latest firmware, according to the web site.

Some undocumented new icons got added in one of the updates and I turned on an option that I thought might enable it, but it has nevertheless remained resolutely silent.

This topic is closed for new posts.